Page 1 of 17 12345678 ... LastLast

Default XP SP2 - experiences thread

Just out of interest, if you've done the SP2 update post here a brief word on the success or otherwise of the upgrade (including what kind of PC you did it to). Interested to see how many people have had problems and what type of problems they had, consolidated into one thread.

Personally, I've updated my old work PC (2GHz P4 Dell) without a hitch. Haven't touched my home PC yet though.

somebody

Default Re: XP SP2 - experiences thread

Updated both PCs - P4 2.4ghz + Athlon 1.4ghz PCs without a problem. The P4 does appear to be running a tad bit slower though, and at times, very very slow (could be clutter, but i'm not 100% sure).

metla

asus laptop-Killed access to the router,an hour fiddling with settings didnt cure it so sp2 was removed.

Had 2 dead comps bought in to be repaired after sp2 install.

Installed sp2 on probally another 12 comps including a couple of laptops with no issues so far,at least none that i have been told about.

andrew93

I have installed SP2 on my HP D330 P4 2.66GHz XP Pro home/work PC without any major problems.

I added various programmes into the XP firewall exception list (AVG, Ad-Aware, Spybot, ZA etc.) so they could get their updates from the internet. There were a few teething problems with IE & Mozilla with some websites but nothing that hasn't been resolved.

All MS & non-MS software have had no problems whatsoever as a result of upgrading to SP2 and no problems with a vast array of laser printers either or other normal hardware. ZA Pro works ok in conjunction with the Windows firewall but all of the security is too tight for the home network so I usually disable ZA to get the home network going properly - but I had to do this anyway before SP2.

So all in all it has been a seamless happy experience.

Terry Porritt

Well, as mentioned in another thread, I ran the SP2 update on my Athlon 1.33Mhz XP Pro system with Abit KT7A motherboard and now elderly Asus AGP-V3000TNT combined video adapter/capture card, with no problems at all.

A very smooth text-book upgrade. I havent noticed any change in boot time or program loading speeds.

I see that I now have Windows Media Player 9, which I had resisted upgrading to previously, as I didnt like the EULA, but I suppose in agreeing to the SP2 EULA I have now sold my soul to MS, though have to admit I didn't read it this time. Still I have all MP9 options turned off, and still use Media Player Classic in lieu

The upgrade to IE is welcome, though as in another thread, there seems to be a slight majority against use of IE.

heaton

Have windows XP home edition for past two years and kept up with all the updates.
    Installed SP2 from PC World disk and apart from windows firewall switching itself off , have Zone Alarm and happy with that, I have had no problems. I suggested in previous post that some statistics be gathered about problems and it appears you have had the same thoughts Bruce. Just a point of interest I use easy clean to tidy up the register and unwanted files and after installing SP2 and waiting a day I did a registry clean and found 43 unneeded items. Cautiously consigning them to the recycle bin I waited to see if there were any problems but no everything working fine.

Chris Randal

"Personally, I've updated my old work PC (2GHz P4 Dell) without a hitch. Haven't touched my home PC yet though."

Could that be because you have tech support at work?????

Spacemannz

Everything works fine here with installing XP SP2 on 2 systems I made up (P4 2.4 800 fsb with HT, and a P4 2.4 533 fsb, both with 1 GB). Both ASUS.

Network works fine also. Just turned off XP's firewall, and continued using Norton's Internet Security and the AV. Everything else (ie: USB etc), are going OK also.

Spacemannz

And talking bout Windows Media Player, V10 final has arrived. It seems to load a bit faster than V9.

>Could that be because you have tech support at work?????

Ouch.