Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Terry Porritt

Default Back to IE. Am I Odd?

Well I have tried Mozilla Firefox through 2 versions, and I have to say I prefer Internet Explorer (with SP2 upgrade). I find it snappier to load than Firefox, and Firefox just wont bring up images on my favourites, in fact on some sites there isnt even any indication there is an image to view.
    I also seem to have greater difficulty organising Bookmarks than the Favotites in IE.

So I will now sit back and wait for all the flame or derision to be poured on my decision

Terry Porritt

Default Re: Back to IE. Am I Odd?

typos.. typos
    ...on my favourite sites....

.....the Favorites in IE.

Murray P

> Am I Odd?

Yes, very. Not sure what it has to do with IE though

Cheers Murray P

Pheonix

Whatever flies your kite......go with it.

After all, it is your computer, and what you do in the privacy of your own home should be your business.

Susan B

When was the last time you fired up Opera, Terry? :-)

I find Opera to be faster loading than Firefox, especially with the "/prefetch:1" command in the shortcut.

You will find the bookmarks/favorites to be the cat's whiskers after Firefox and IE and since you like tweaking you can have Opera customised to exactly how you want it, including control over the vast number of shortcut keys. There are loads of sites with tips on how to do it, of course.

These days the adverts are far less intrusive with the new Ads By Google bar which takes up no more room than an ordinary (small) toolbar.

Have I convinced you yet? :-)

Rob99

No.
    I use firefox most of the time, but still have to use IE to access some sites, I find this bloody anoying.
    I like the tabed style of firefox, and if IE had this I would switch back to IE as my default as well.
    If the developers could get {mozilla/netscape/firefox} to work on all websites as IE does, I could reccomend it to other people, but alias I dont.

Susan B

> If the developers could get
    > {mozilla/netscape/firefox} to work on all websites as
    > IE does, I could reccomend it to other people, but
    > alias I dont.

Why should mozilla/netscape/firefox have to make their browsers accept non-standard webpage code? They do a pretty good job of it now to a certain degree but really, it should be the webpage authors' responsibility to get their code right in the first place. They will only do that if and when enough people complain about their non-standard code.

Metla pointed out a site a couple of weeks ago that had a small amount of non-standard code and after a number of PF1 people emailed the webmaster and complained, it was corrected.
    Moral: tell us know what pages you are having problems with and let us deal with it. ;-)

stu120404

> Metla pointed out a site a couple of weeks ago that
    > had a small amount of non-standard code and after a
    > number of PF1 people emailed the webmaster and
    > complained, it was corrected.

Example the domainz.net.nz domain name search now works with firefox ( before it did Not & I had to use IE)

Rob99

http://www.dragonpc.co.nz/
    The dealer area and the ability to check previous sales does not work with firefox.

http://it.seek.co.nz/index.asp
    There are a whole bunch of pages that only work in IE

Lots of people have mentioned parts of Microsoft website are unavailable without using IE.

I am sure there are others, I canít remember.

I could give you loads of VB/Java scripts that only work in IE.

The way the future is heading with .net these problem will die out over time.

I do admit they have been making huge advancements over the last two years, and I now test most pages I write with both browsers, but I never use to. (half probably due to my crappy code but the other half is definitely the browsers fault)

I realise it is also the developers job to make sure things work, but this does not always happen, so I will not recommend this browser to other people(meaning people with little computer experience) because it will display the page fine but when they try to interact with it they will fail, and not knowing to much they will think it is something they are doing wrong, when clearly it isnít.

Mike

> So I will now sit back and wait for all the flame or
    > derision to be poured on my decision

I'm with you Terry I have tried many others, haven't really found them to my liking, and have stuck with IE. I like it, it does the job, its quick to load, and easy to understand. Plus more sites work with it than the others, so why should I need to use two browsers when I've got one already that'll load everything

Mike.