PressF1 User

Default Could someone who has Woosh help us out please

We currently have DSL which is quite expensive for us. We've know that Woosh is not good for online gaming because of the high ping times - but how bad is it really?
    (1) Could someone who has Woosh connect to a Steam (CS) game server and tell us what sort of ping times you are getting please.
    (2) What is Woosh like for voice, such as MSN Messenger or Skype - are the lag times very great?
    (3) What about recieving video streams or rado stations?
    If you use a boost antenna I'd be interested to know what the service is like for you too.
    Thanks to whoever can help us out with this info - cheers.

Chilling_Silence

Default Re: Could someone who has Woosh help us out please

How close are you to your nearest tower??
    We are right on the edge of the limit and get 180ms pings on average.
    I know people who are right under the tower who get 30ms pings to certain places :-)

> (1) Could someone who has Woosh connect to a Steam
    > (CS) game server and tell us what sort of ping times
    > you are getting please.
    How close are you to the tower and server affects this. Booster Antennae will help too!

> (2) What is Woosh like for voice, such as MSN
    > Messenger or Skype - are the lag times very great?
    Skype rocks :-)

> (3) What about recieving video streams or rado
    > stations?
    Yeah no worries!

> If you use a boost antenna I'd be interested to know
    > what the service is like for you too.
    Yes, I do at work, it wont work for us without it

Chill.

PressF1 User

A ping of 180 on the edge of reception is actually much better than I though it would be - we could live with that for sure.

How stable are the ping times - does it jump up and down much - and do you notice much interference from outside sources? They tell us that weather is not really a problem.

R2x1

Hi there,
    I don't get ping times as good as that very often, 300 is quick, over 1 sec is not unheard of. Skype was not too good - aside from the "parasite activity" factor. Since I usually am only interested in up and down loading, the speed is great for me, as long as I stick to low activity times, like the early AM hours, I get download speeds way in excess of the advertised rates, upload speeds the same, I don't mind that a bit. Weather makes no difference here, and I do use the external antenna. I find the data cap (A pretty nebulous figure) to be quite acceptable, if I wish to download 3 or 4 cd's worth of Linux, I just do it.
    Ping times are the only snag, and not even that worries me for my usage pattern. I use Linux 90 % of the time, and Win XP for the rest, both are via the ethernet cable. (more expense.)
    Cheers,
    R2

Graham L

I'm curious. I don't know whether I'm in the coverage area yet, but I'm sort of tempted. Is the $199 for the receiver with a USB interface? Is the ethernet cable a non-standard one --- because I would want to use Linux?

PressF1 User

Hi Graham - this will tell you if you're in the coverage area - type your street, number, and town (on the left) - and then click 'Check'

http://www.woosh.com/UserInterface/W...page/Home.aspx

Chilling_Silence

The LAN cable works fine in Linux with rp-pppoe, but the cable is an extra $35 IIRC over and above the $199 for the modem.

Chill.

R2x1

Standard Modem set-up is with the USB cable (Supplied). The ethernet cable is a special to suit the rather novel connector to the modem, and there is a "lump" in the cable toward the modem end, with a LED to indicate connection. This is for the earlier modem, I am only assuming the current unit may be somewhat similar.
    Even in Windoze, I find the ethernet connection better overall (not quite so simple to set up, but still just a "do what it says in the order it says" process).
    R2

Chilling_Silence

Mind me asking why you prefer the Ethernet cable?

R2x1

Performance in jet car when doing multi-part downloads seems to be "sweeter" and faster. blowed if I could put numbers to it though. Also, it means I don't have to swap cables when going between XP and a real O/S. :O
    (Ducks)
    R2