Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Peter H

Default Wot - no free CD

For us sensible (non XP) users. Have fun one & all, and I'll read about your trials and tribulations.
    Bye

Jen C

Default Re: Wot - no free CD

Real handy to have though for your friends who run XP.

Seeing as the NZ PC World CD was purely for WinXP users, it must be time again for Linux users to get a dedicated CD with the magazine

A live CD of the latest Knoppix or even SuSE 9.1, or even better, an install CD for Yoper which is a New Zealand home grown Linux distro (even has a silver fern on the LILO boot manager)

Murray P

Yup! Not much good to me with win2k & Linux here. I was, however thinking of copying it to a CD with some other patches and security software for some collegues but, was a little concerned at the copyright issues this may raise.

Jen, you've obviously installed Yoper (update 2.1.0 last week I believe), It was the first distro I attempted to install. It (V1) didn't like my nForce board and I didn't have the ability to fix it. How's the new one assuming your running V2?

Cheers Murray P

Peter H

I do use windows - 98se - and happy with it. Have played with Linux, but it is a hassle getting periphials working. ISA modem for a start.
    Bye

Chilling_Silence

I agree - I think it would be an excellent idea to talk to Andreas about bundling Yoper v2.10 one month!!

Sure, WinXP SP2 is good.... but personally I have no need for it
    Thanks anyways, Im sure I can find somebody who is unfortunate enough to need the CD ;-)

Murray:
    The new Yoper shows nothing short of excellence all around! Its great!!! Grab it from the JSG FTP (Dont forget to connect to the Realm first).

Chill.

Jen C

> Jen, you've obviously installed Yoper (update 2.1.0
    > last week I believe), It was the first distro I
    > attempted to install. It (V1) didn't like my
    > nForce board and I didn't have the ability to fix it.
    > How's the new one assuming your running V2?

Yeah, I have Yoper 2.1.0-4 installed which is the latest release. Comes with the 2.6.8.1-3 kernel and KDE 3.3.3. It is lovely!

I have it on my older P3 machine (removable drive caddys' are great!) and it detected all my hardware first pop including my Likom monitor which normally ends up as a generic monitor with me having to edit the frequencies and syncs myself to match the specifications. It even has the nVidia driver module pre-loaded for my graphic card.

With the latest kernel and all, it is definately worth downloading off the jetstream games server and trying again. Very smooth looking - default desktop

Dolby Digital

>>it must be time again for Linux users to get a dedicated CD with the magazine
    PC World should be like PC Authority or PC User ex Aussie and go to 2 disks per issue. Of course they might have to increase the price (nah )

Earnie Moore

Yes I agree I don't have windows XP either.

as a protest I refuse to post any more jokes next month and that not all, I refuse to post any OT for the whole of next month, (or until my memory comes back or goes away or something)

And what will I do since I can not afford SKY "GETTING A LIFE"

Murray P

Grabbed Yoper earlier tonight, tried to boot but Meps's Lilo got in the way and wouldn't let me boot to the CD (MD5's checked out BTW). Will have a look at Lilo to see what I can do, any suggestions are welcome. Anyone who wants a copy of Yoper or Mepis in lieu of SP2 are also welcome

Cheers Murray P

JJJJJ

What? I didn't think Linux needed a full disk of repair material.
    Jack :^O