Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zone Alarm

Kirky

Default Zone Alarm

I have XP. I have just got broadband internet through ihug, so thought I should get a firewall. Have installed Zone Alarm, then Zone Alarm Pro, but can't get the internet to work when Zone Alarm is open. The connection is still there, but can't view any pages (I use internet explorer). Tried to put ihug as a trusted zone, but maybe I didn't do it right because it didn't make any difference. Can anyone give me better instructions than the ones I have found through Zone Alarm, or tell me what else I might be doing wrong. Thanks

supergran

Default Re: Zone Alarm

I can' talk you through it step by step, but I did know that you have to allow your browser server access to the internet. I mean IE or firefox, or whatever you use to access the web. Just thought I would post this incase it is something basic like that. I know when I installed ZA on my dd's puter, I also had to allow gereric host or something similar to connect as well.

tweak\'e

what sort of broadband connection do you have ?

Scotty D

Open Zone Alarm select the Firewall tab then Zones make sure your connection has rights, not blocked. If it isn't there, then ADD your IP address and allow internet connection, not block. Tell us if successfull.

johnboy

Have a look thru these sites
    here
    here
    hth

mikebartnz

>but I did know that you have to allow your browser server access to the internet.
    No you don't. Unless you have a need eg Kaaza no program needs server access.
    >I also had to allow gereric host
    Only if you have, for most people, unneccessary services running.

supergran

Thanks for that Mike, no Kaaza isn't run on either machine, but the only way I could get hers to connect was allowing gerenic host, or whatever, and IE for mine or firefox now. We both run Nortons, but that is about the only similarity. Ok, time to go back and look at my ZA settings, and try and change things and see if I can still get online.

Scotty D

Have a look at Norton internet security setting maybe?

Kirky

Wired Country through ihug - there is an aerial on the roof that gets the signal.

tweak\'e

is there any ihug software on your pc that has to run in order for your internet to work ?

as far as i can tell the wireless setup you have work through you network card so as long as ZA sees your card you should be ok.

make sure you havn't blocked anything. also have you tried dropping the sicurity settings to low ?