ahd8888

Default can my power supply 20 pins ATX Connector convert to 24 pins ATX Connector

Hi, I have a power supply with 20 pins ATX Power Connector. Can anyone advise me whether there is some sort of special adapter to convert it from 20 pins to 24 pins ATX Power Connector, so that I can power up Socket 775 motherboard. Or is it not possible. Thank you in advance.

godfather

Default Re: can my power supply 20 pins ATX Connector convert to 24 pins ATX Connector

Murray P

Default Re: can my power supply 20 pins ATX Connector convert to 24 pins ATX Connec

Not as far as I know. Different requirements and standards.

Cheers Murray P

ahd8888

Default Re: can my power supply 20 pins ATX Connector convert to 24 pins ATX Connector

Dear Godfather, u are a genius. Can u tell me where I can buy this adapter in NZ. Thank you.

godfather

These people sell it with a PSU
    http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=PSUTHM5601

So ring them and ask if its available separately?

Still doesnt guarantee it will work though. Are the current capabilities OK?

ahd8888

Godfather, thanks for yr answer. I don't think they can sell it separately. If they do sell it, they would have advertised it on their web site. By the way, the converter for (Thermaltake ST/560W ATX/B/PFC/2 Fan +W0023RAD) is actually to convert 24 pins to 20 pins. If anyone knows that by using this 20 to 24 pins cable will work, please let me know. At the moment, I think I should not take the change if no one knows that it will work. Does anyone think Acbel brand power supply good?

Graham L

It's usually best not to mess with power supply connectors, expecially when they supply expensive things.

An adaptor which goes from 24 to 20 pins won't usually work in reverse. The plugs and sockets have genders. Only a few special connectors are hermaphrodite.

PaulD

The 24 pin ATX connector is an extension of the existing 20 pin. There are an extra 4 pins, +3.3,+5,+12 and another Common. It is possible to plug a 20 pin plug into a 24 pin socket.

See http://store.compute-aid.com/spec/atxps24.html

If the design of your motherboard requires more current than a 20 pin connector is spec'd to deliver, you could be in trouble. A converter cable might shift the point of melt down to the converter rather than the more expensive motherboard socket.

ahd8888

According to Maximum PC (July 2004, pg54), the extra connectors support increased power routing through both BTX and next-generation ATX motherboards that support the 75-watt PCI Express power requirement. The latest power supply apec also calls for the four-pin 12 V connector to run off of a separate 12 volt power rail. However, if you run a BTX (or ATX) board without a high-wattage graphic card, you can technically plug an old 20-pin main power connector into the new board without problem. But in the end, the article still advise to prepare to buy a new power supply to fully support PCI Express motherboards and the new graphic card.