Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Earnie Moore

Default A boreing bedtime story with happy ending.

Once upon a time near the start of the 21st century I purchased a DVD
    CDROM drive for my computer, it worked well reading plain old CD's and
    it read the NZ PC world CD's even better,
    some months later I see some advertising DVD CD's for sale, I think I know I have a DVD drive in my computer, why don't I buy a CD and play it in my computer, so I did, then when I got home I got picture and no sound, I think I can fix this so I spent hours and hours and hours trying to get the sound but no sound came, I think I know this 200 odd MHz is getting a bit old now for the two year old 21st century why don't I buy a new computer then I can play my DVD CD on it, so I did I got the latest 2GHz computer, I was impressed it told me it would load Windows 98 in half an hour and it did it in five minutes, then I got out my DVD CD and put it in my DVD drive, but this computer played the sound but there was no picture to be seen, so I spent hours and hours and hours trying to get the picture and still no picture, I think rats to it all,
    some months later while reading the advertising papers that come free in the letter box, I see now that DVD players price are down to about $100 so I went to the dentist instead, the dentist tells me I need to be very rich so he can make me feel poor, while that's not the words he used of course, I think rats again,
    Then just the other week a friend asked me about linux he said he likes the linux idea, I think that's good, not a lot of people think much of linux, and those who do, love it. So I think I know I have Debian 3.0r2 on DVD that came with a computer magazine the other month, so I think I wonder if I can sell him a brand new DVD CD drive, So I pick one up from a place that sells lots and lots of computer part, So I get to his place and install a new hard drive I took with me so I could give him a test drive on linux, if it did not work out I could wire up his old hard drive and he or should I say - I would not have to reinstall his windows 98, so he could carry on using his computer that night after I had gone home, Then I introduced him to my brand new DVD drive, he loved the idea so much he wanted to own my brand new DVD drive, so he could play DVD CD's on his computer after I had gone home. Then can the sad story, first his computer BIOS would not read my 80 Gig hard drive it only saw it as 18 Gig, and that's not all, when I tried to play a DVD CD from the operating system his old hard drive came up with some obnoxious text message on the screen "F4D41436 The TV out port of your display card is not working properly" well I think rats again, so that ended a my happy visit to me friends place that produced no happiness at all, So when I got home I think, what else can go wrong? I think I am well experienced to handle another failure, so I unscrewed my computer and exchanged the DVD drives over, The computer seems to install the drivers OK on boot up just like it did when my friend computer got rebooted, then I put a DVD CD in the drive, and there it was, sound & picture working together on the same computer, and that's not all, it was like watching TV as if I had
    a TV card installed within my computer.

Well I must go to bed now, I feel as if I don't need to count rats to fall asleep and I telling the story, I hope you are still all right?

rugila

Default Re: A boreing bedtime story with happy ending.

I guess I'm not quite up with the play. maybe too late at night and all that.

But just what is a DVD CD?

(digitalvideodisk/compactdisk/both/neither/newtechnologyIhaven'tcaughtupwithyet/something else again?????????????)

maybe off to bed too is the best strategy

or
    "but fill me with that old familiar juice,
    methinks I might recover by and bye"
    (Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam)

(now the second or revised edition calls it cold familiar juice - why is that?
    - far too many esoteric puzzles late at nite)

KatiMike

sleep tight Earnie ... I have no idea what a DVD CD is , however I wish you luck in your quest

Elephant

> Once upon a time near the start of the 21st century I
    > purchased a DVD.
    Well I'm sure you are right there. It will not be near the start of the 19th or 20th. Should be toward the end of the 20th or start of 21st.
    Now of course we will have the people who want to explain the difference. "Y2K" I hear you ask?

> go to bed now, I feel as if I don't need
    > to count rats to fall asleep and I telling the story,
    Being a K1W1 from five generations back I prefer to count sheep rather than to mount sheep. That is K one W one on purpose.

I suggest you do a Google for the "Pied Piper". Maybe I even have that wrong.

I spent some time in Australia like Sydney some time back.

There was a joke there where the Mayor of Manly wanted the pied piper to get all kiwis to get into the water..

> I hope you are still all right?
    I am fine thanks.

Elephant

> I guess I'm not quite up with the play. maybe too
    > late at night and all that.
    >
    > But just what is a DVD CD?
    I am not 100% sure either. What I do have is a DVD Writer and this will also Write CDs. I also have a CD Writer.

The difference as I see it is that to the CDWriter I can send off close to 650 Megs of data. With the DVD Writer I can send off over 4 Gigs.

I can actually write CDs from the DVD writer. It is all a question of the media is it not?

> (digitalvideodisk/compactdisk/both/neither/newtechnolo
    > yIhaven'tcaughtupwithyet/something else
    > again?????????????)
    >
    > maybe off to bed too is the best strategy
    >
    > or
    > "but fill me with that old familiar juice,
    > methinks I might recover by and bye"
    > (Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam)
    >
    > (now the second or revised edition calls it cold
    > familiar juice - why is that?
    > - far too many esoteric puzzles late at nite)
    >

Earnie Moore

>
    > But just what is a DVD CD?
    >

OK, OK, OK, give me a break !!!!

Everyone knows what a "PIN Number" is don't they, we have no complaints, lets just spell it out it is a "Personal Identification Number Number"

I am very sorry I will never use DVD CD together again, I will use either DVD or CD by it's self.

Old Tom

Very nice story Earn,would you like a cup of tea Earn?
    Gave me a headache ,but a nice story none the less.

Laura

Hey Earnie
    Loved the story/saga.
    Forget the carping/quibbling people...
    The important words were * sound and pictures working together*...and after all that time, too...
    I do hope you'll enjoy its functions at last.
    It sounds as though you deserve it by now...

Laura

And as your post said- it had a happy ending.
    I wasn't bored...

Billy T

> Everyone knows what a "PIN Number" is don't they, we
    > have no complaints, lets just spell it out it is a
    > "Personal Identification Number Number"

LOL Earnie :^O

Very sharp, and very well put.

That's one in the eye for the carpers and pedants!

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)