Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Susan B

Default Motherboard dead??

I have an older computer here that won't boot up. All it does is start the fans up (PSU, CPU) then displays this on the monitor, which flashes on and off every couple of seconds. It does not go through the POST process, etc, and I can't hear any beeps.

I have replaced the battery, removed the battery for 10 minutes to reset the BIOS, tried the single stick of RAM in another slot, unplugged and replugged the hard drive and reseated various plugs, all to no avail.

It looks like it has onboard graphics as there is no graphics card and the monitor works fine on another computer.

Am I right in suspecting that the mobo has died? I am puzzled as to why it displays the flashing screen of squares though.

The PC is, as far as I can tell, a P2 something or other. Haven't got a motherboard manual at the moment so I'm not sure what it is.

Any ideas?

CYaBro

Default Re: Motherboard dead??

Sounds like mainboard. Have you tried booting it with nothing plugged in? i.e. disconnect power and cables to HDD/FDD/CDROM and remove all PCI cards
    Those flashing squares on the screen must be a standard KTX thing if the monitor powers up but gets no signal from the PC as I have seen it before on other KTX screens.

Susan B

> Have you tried booting it with nothing plugged in? i.e. disconnect power and cables to HDD/FDD/CDROM and remove all PCI cards

Yes, have done that - it's just the same. :-(

> Those flashing squares on the screen must be a standard KTX thing if the monitor powers up but gets no signal from the PC as I have seen it before on other KTX screens.

That makes sense.

Oh well, it doesn't sound promising, does it? I wonder what the options are now? Take it back and tell them it's time for a new PC?

Thanks CYaBro.

CYaBro

Have you tried another PSU?

Susan B

Out of interest, what would have actually died?

When the power button is switched on the keyboard lights flash on, the floppy drive LED comes on, the CD-ROM drawer can open and close, the fans are all spinning.... but nothing comes up on the screen.

It is all a mystery to me. ?:|

Susan B

No, haven't tried another PSU. Have never swapped one before so am a little hesitant to do that. I'll get HWMO to test it with his multimeter when he gets home later and see if he can pick up something amiss with that.

CYaBro

It could also be the onboard video card has failed.
    If you have an old PCI video card try that and see what happens.

Marlboro

Do you have the cpu power connected directly off the power supply, or via the pin connector on the motherboard? If it's connected directly to the motherboard, then the power supply should be ok.

Susan B

> If you have an old PCI video card try that and see what happens.

Darn it - my first computer's graphics card is too long and won't fit and my second computer has onboard graphics as well so no, I can't test that one. :-(

I am not actually properly set up for hardware troubleshooting - my speciality is cleaning junk like viruses, adware and spyware off computers and installing simple things like RAM, hard drives, etc. Unfortunately this person was unable to describe his problem properly otherwise I wouldn't have taken it on. Oh well, it's all part of the learning experience. :-)

Susan B

> Do you have the cpu power connected directly off the power supply, or via the pin connector on the motherboard? If it's connected directly to the motherboard, then the power supply should be ok.

Ummm.... I removed a couple of plugs off the motherboard and the CPU fan stopped until I put them back. The plug leads run straight from the PSU. Six wires of various colours (red, white, black, blue and yellow) go into each plug.

Is that good or bad?