Thread: Nvidia Drivers

bazmeister

Default Nvidia Drivers

I've been told I should upgrade my Graphics Driver ... I am on Win XP and have a GE Force 2 MX driver. Don't think it's been upgraded since installation years ago.

I have been to the Nvidia site and see they have an XP driver Version 56.72 available. Just need advice to whether or not this is what I need for my somewhat elderly existing driver, as I've been getting mixed advice on this.

I also see there are two versions available, US/English and International with a difference of about 7MB between them. Can someone point me straight on this one ?
    Thanks..Baz

Chilling_Silence

Default Re: Nvidia Drivers

Yep, you're on the right track. Grab the US/English file - You wont need internationalization.

The newer drivers offer increased performance, better stability (in most cases) and a whole lot of extra cool nvidia extentions.

You shouldnt run into any issues but if you do post back

Cheers

Chill.

Miami Steve

It's usually a good idea to keep up to date with graphics drivers. Latest drivers are usually faster than their predecessors. Some graphics card manufacturers, however, will supply their own version of drivers.

For example, I have a Leadtek NVidia FX5900, and Leadtek advise using the driver from their site rather than the standard Forceware drivers. This is presumably due to individual tweaks that the manufacturers have made to the card, thus making them non-standard.

If you do go for the standard Forceware drivers, it pays to only use the latest ones if they are WHQL certified.

The difference between US/English and International versions is that the international version is multi-language, thus the larger file size.

Cheers
    Miami

Miami Steve

Did it really take me that long to put that message together :-(

Looks like you beat me to it, Chill

bazmeister

Great stuff, thanks for that - I'm off to download before my wife wants the phone.

Baz

Pete O\'Neil

I'd have to disagree with the other posters, with a card as old as your i'd tend not to upgrade the drivers. The newer drivers are filled with cr@p you dont need. If it ant broke then dont fix it. If you must upgrade have a look for nvidia drivers in the 4X.XX series, anything after that they start to get bloated.

Chilling_Silence

Personally I like the 44.12 (I think its .12) - They perform well and are very stable, yet trim as mentioned :-)

metla

I have to agree with Pete on this,Unless you have a specific issue you need to sort out i would suggest sticking with what you have or at the most grabbing a driver from the same era your card is from.

A new release driver will definitly reduce performance.

Unless your using the default nvidia driver loaded on by XP,thats another kettle of fish altogether.