Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hotkiwi

Default HELP MSN Explorer wasted my Internet access !!

hi folks,
    Please help.
    I played yesterday with MSN Explorer on my laptop, it did not work, so uninstalled it again, but ever since I have no more Internet, Mail, nor Usenet access from that laptop. I use 3 computers in a homenetwork, the others work fine, and they see the laptop hanging OK in the network, I can access the otrher computers from the laptop so the network connection is fine. I am using a Speedtouch Pro ADSL modem, the other computers have good access over that modem to the internet. So only the laptop fails to connect. I can ping my modem from the laptop at 10.0.0.138, but if I key this IP in in my browser, it will not connect !!! What is wrong, feel desperate !!!
    please help

Johan,
    Auckland

mikebartnz

Default Re: HELP MSN Explorer wasted my Internet access !!

Is it the firewall.

Hotkiwi

Well...........
    I just had reinstalled MSN Explorer and could not contact to the Net, now I disbaled that f*****g Norton Firewall and it starts downloading over MSN !!!!!
    So, I think you gave me a cool tip, mate. But why would it then block my mail and usenet access ?? It worked wekll 2 days ago !

Murray P

MSN E could have changed your network setting or ISP acount setting in your mail programme. I don't have Nortons firewall so I can't help you with it's settings but, I guess it will also have alowwable mail and browser programmes. Have a look in its setting. You do not want to be on the net with a wall.

Cheers Murray P

Murray P

Heck! hashed post, sorry.

MSN E could have changed your network settings and/or your ISP account settings in your mail client and/or browser (I'd check anything that connects to make sure it hasn't burgled the lot).

You do not want to be on the net without a wall. Most firewalls use md5 sums or similar to check if a programme is legit and has not been altered, there should be a setting to manually add or remove programmes from the firewalls list, check what is in there, what programmes and services are being blocked. Set the firewall to a verbose alert setting (like block all or ask me to confirm.......) whereby it will alert you to all events and ask you to verify or deny the action. This will tell you in real time what is happening and what the firewall is doing.

What OS (operating system)

Cheers Murray P

Hotkiwi

GOOD GRIEF !!!

Problem solved. Now I am looking at that silly MSN Explorer with firewall off, so will try to get rid of it. (over software install/window component/untick MSN Explorer I assume?). still wonder why it also blocked my email and usenet access. Seems to be apretty all-take-over then as Bill usually has his products made......
    Well, folks, thanks heaps, been working on it this morning till 2.30 and Paradise helpdesk could not help.
    ****, it is the f+++++g firewall.
    Shall I ditch the Norton firewall and use the free Zonealarm or even buy the complete Zopnealarm ??
    Cheers
    Johan Auckland

Murray P

What OS. Check that MSN Explorer has not changed your network settings. Do you have a firewall and haven't enabled MSN E to access the network?

Cheers Murray P

Hotkiwi

Thanks Murray and others!
    My system is Windows XP Professional.
    It is silly that I did not think of the firewall, having had problems with the same damned thing in the past, when my computers 'did not see each other'.
    Cheers
    Johan