Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Elephant

Default Can we organise a text file with hardware and O/S

PressF1 is a good place to post questions I feel.

Questions pop up (sorry) from time to time.

As a person that would like answer the questions I would like to help.

Usually I need to ask the original poster several questions before I can help at all.

These questions normally are:-
    What operating system?
    What Motherboard Make and Model?
    What Modem?
    What ISP?
    What browser?
    What E-mail client?
    etc.

Outlook comes to mind in a big way. Outlook as opposed to Outlook Express. The two are entirely different. These act diiferently depending on your operating system and whether Office is installed or not. MSOffice parts can be installed and once again this depends on the O/s and office and whether or not you use Linux or have a P75 using MS_DOS or DR_Dos.

Take it that you buy a digital camera for example:

You have Paint Shop Pro at the time for example.
    So why install EVERYTHING that comes with the camera?

Anyway. Is there a way of people finding out the hardware that may be relevant to a question?

Aida, Sisoft Sandra come to mind for me.

Go find out what hardware you have and paste into a text file. I don't think that I want to read the WHOLE file on every post. It may help people here to help you though.

For me I just look at the posts and figure I can help immediately or I need to search.

I know this sort of thread has been mentioned in the past.

People were against this sort of post at that time and I must admit that for some people this may not be easy.

If you go buy a computer then you SHOULD get a Motherbord Manual. You should get a driver disk containing all drivers for all hardware you got with the computer. Keep all manuals, disks etc in a safe place.

Hopefully you get a full or OEM version of the O/S with the computer you paid for. Recovery disks do work and put your computer back in the condition it was when the day you paid for it.

If you want to change hardware then the recovery disks will ( or may not) work.

beama

Default Re: Can we organise a text file with hardware and O/S

maybe this sort of information could be inputed when a new user is setup, I have been considering putting my hardware spec's into "location" part of my profile or maybe put a topic on this subject in the help area of PF1 (checks to see if its not already there because he hasnt read it yet :8} ) "what information to include when when requesting help"

Murray P

Hi Baldy

A simple way to get around a good few of the basic questions but not the whole nine yards is:

When you go into the "POST NEW TOPIC" to post a new topic funnily enough (genius at work here, be very carefull , why can't there be in BIG BOLD RED FONT something like PLEASE GIVE YOUR OPERATING SYSTEM, SOFTWARE NAME & VERSION THAT IS CAUSING THE PROBLEM AND/OR HARDWARE VERSION AND WHAT YOU HAVE TRIED SO FAR or something like that.

The addition to the profile would be very handy as long as people kept it up to date.

BTW, sorry for the caps folks, purely illustrative although, it's kinda nice to get things of your chest with a silent scream every now and then

Cheers Murray P

Murray P

Elephant, please accept my humblest apologies for getting you moniker wrong. Not that my apologies are particularly humble, it's the best that I can do

Cheers Murray P

kiki

> moniker

I've heard that word mentioned several times throughout the forum, what does it mean? Can't be a typo the K is too far from the T so...

Elephant

> Elephant, please accept my humblest apologies for
    > getting you moniker wrong. Not that my apologies are
    > particularly humble, it's the best that I can do
    I didn't scream silently. I just posted.
    Apology accepted humble or not.

My feeling is there has to be a way of getting the message across so that we don't get a question like "My computer is broken" and I don't have to ask have you dropped in the floor or chucked it out a mult-storied building.

You know the sort of thing I mean.

Elephant

Moniker = Name.

Not to be confused with Moniter or Monitor.

Murray P

Silent scream = CAPS. I meant my post, not having a crack at yours, now you mention it though.....

Cheers Murray ;P

beetle

have we not been down this track before ????

?:|

seem to recall this type of thread happening before and no progress made on it.

beetle

R2x1

Once enough people start going up and down a road, something will happen at the end of the road (probably confusion). It all sounds like a good idea, trouble is, the people who don't RTFM don't tend to read much else either once panic sets in.
    R2