Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Winston001

Default OT - Education and Careers

This is an enquiry of the younger members.

I'm curious. Today you are being told to get "qualifications" and how important education is. Furthermore, the message is that you have to surf the Knowledge Wave into the future - or you'll end up in a dead-end job.

Are these the messages you and your friends are recieving? Do you believe it? What careers do you want, or expect?

DangerousDave

Default Re: OT - Education and Careers

As far as I can see, a degree/tertiary qualification is only there to get you into your first job or promoted. After that its just based on experience from previous jobs.

Basically you have to remember that its not what you know but who you know, and that is definite. Making heaps of contacts and dealing well with lots of people is far more important than a qualification.

- David

Jester

I am not university qualified, but have completed career-related studies to obtain a qualification recognised in the sector I work in. I wish, looking back now, that I went into a trade.

I would have loved to be an electrician, but was put off it by the careers person when I was at school as it wasn't 'the way of the future'. I see what plumbers, sparkies, builders etc earn now and given the type of work they do I have some regrets I took a white collar career in some ways.

I agree with David about it's who you know that helps. I am extremely fortunate, I have never been unemployed. I have been made redundant once and picked up a job the day after leaving - through having contacts.

Still wish I was wiring up homes etc ...... if I could drop back to an apprentice's wage and re-train, I would

metla

Jester, your mad.

I mean it.

Get help son, You need powerful medicine.

Billy T

Nah, you are not mad Jester. Being an electrician can be a very remunerative job, and it is not by any means confined to wiring houses. There are some hi-tech jobs out there that merge electrical knowledge with electronic/computer technology.

If you were lucky you might find an employer who would pay well for your present skill-set and provide the training and prectical experience you need to get qualified as an electrician at the same time.

It is entirely possible to retrain, and you don't necessarily have to drop back to apprentice rates. Unlike electronics, which was my primary training and has since seen the bottom fall out of servicing opportunities, technology is unlikely to remove the need to distribute electricity around residential and commercial buildings, it just keeps adding more data cabling needs to the list of opportunities.

If you are half serious, take a look Here then phone and discuss your options.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Winston001

Excellent Jester and Billy. That is exactly the point I was leading up to.

I believe our children are being mislead by well-intentioned but shallow educationalists.

The fact is, we need a wide range of skills in our society. Some of those skills are being overlooked, such as electricians, which is criminal.

On the other hand, we have kids learning about surfing, snow-board instructing, writing rap music. These, with respect, for 95%, are hobbies - not careers.

In the meantime NZ is short of carpenters, electricians, plumbers, and engineers (fitter/turner). For pitys sake - why??

Trust me, if you want to earn a good income, have your own business, and real skills - consider the above. And there is no reason why A students should be directed away. The more intelligence in these business's, the better.

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~

I still have a open-mind to my career path.

Electricians and plumbers should never, ever be overlooked. I have seen too many reports of them earning 6 figures. I have considered it, but it just doesn't fit me. Not because of educational overload, but because I'm not the most fit; I'm not a heavy-weight lifter; I don't do well with Engineering type problems (science).

Hence, have got no choice to take on the white collar. Have confirmed to myself to take on conjoint degree (I can't choice between them). They are subjects I enjoy/think I will enjoy, and ones that I know I'm good at. These are Law and Commerce. I have always had no problems with money since god-knows-when. Law, because I like the social world, very nosey if you want to put it that way. Engineering will bore me very quick. I'm not taking on accounting either. Boring at times! So, I figured, I will be a business operations consultant, or an auditor of some sort. The reason why I don't want to go too much into law is due to the fact that I'm not the best at public speaking. I do enjoy criticism type essays.

Also, I'm taking Law because I know that as time go on, this place is going to get worse and more rough. Hence more trouble, hence people to sort them out. ... Lawyers come in... But a judge remains my dream-job. Would make me feel sooooo powerful. ]

Degrees wise, I'm aiming for an masters in at least Commerce. I wouldn't mind entering the workforce later. Isn't it nature for people in white collars to try get the best qualification they can? I think so.

If there's no money, I wouldn't mind studying philosophy, psychology... etc. I think they're fun :8} But problem been... not much options of career pathways.

Murray P

Well Winny, I'm not in the category of a young student starting out but have been a student of sorts in the recent past to enable me to take a career turn.

My family is rather academic but I was not too interested in getting multiple degrees and phd's to add a few letters to my name. The fact that dad was convinced that the army was the place for me probably sums up where I was at, many many years ago, and what I did during the years that I should have been doing more than eating my lunch and smoking down the bank (I used to frustrate the hell out of the poor guy and I'm sure he was embarrassed every time he went to a school board meeting). Anyway, I didn't take dads advice, instead I took an apprenticeship in carpentry & joinery and thouraghly enjoyed the experience, past all my exams and the extra qual's I could get, suddenly study had a purpose.

Fast forward, after having been a builder (self employed) worked in construction management, sales and marketing and had a company go down the gurgler with catostrophic results to both self esteem and financially then, back in management I decided that this lark was not interesting anymore nor financially rewarding enough. So, I took a punt, registered a company, applied to become a member of an industry organisation for which I had to study and sit exams, submit work, and be interviewed. Got accepted, then did another round of courses and exams to enable me to take on a specific role within the industry.

The upshot is, I am now considered an expert (a used drip), I have a consultacy business, charge at least three to four times the going rate for a builder and turn away 30 to 40% of enquiry and could if I wished do work exclusively for one client. I would love to have the time to do a building science degree and that is a medium term goal that would nail down my annual CPD requirements for a few years. I'm not rich, not even well off (see previous catastrophy, it still costs) but I'm now set up, most importanly
    enjoying every dam second of my work.

One regret is that I did not take these steps earlier, in fact I wish I had listened more to my old man, knuckled down at school and gone to uni. On the other hand, if I had done so I would not be in the enjoyable position I am now, who knows.

One thing that worries me Winny, and especially as we have teenage children going to high school, is that the courses do not seem to be as grounded in reality as they could be. There is too much of a soft passage with little of the reality of the world being inculcated in to their wee minds. To my mind there are so many kids taking dead end subjects and more doing dead end (fee paying courses) at poytechnics and university that it is scary. We have a huge gap in skills in this counttry and seem to be doing little about it or preparing our children (my how the worm turns). Even the apprenticeship system is, by and large, shot with a long way to go to bring back skill and knowledge that have been almost permanently lost to industries (hence leaky building syndrome and the costly process to resovle and remediate the the cases let alone cure the ill that allowed it to happen). It is my opinion that the knowledge wave is market/politico speak for lets have everone believe we are on the ball and doing something worthwhile rather than letting NZ drift in to a low paid service economy (servicing offshore needs) which is done better anyway by other countries with biggers populations.

Phew! now I'm going OT on the OT and reakon that I've only said half of what I want to get across. Must come from working by myself in my little office looking at nitty gritty details. I must more, maybe I should get the mail from the letterbox instead of letting the kids do it

Cheers Murray P

Murray P

> I must get out more, maybe I should get the mail from the letterbox
    > instead of letting the kids do it.

That makes a little more sense, mabe

Cheers Murray P

Growly

Hi there,

As a young person, I am one of the ones that believes completely in academic studies. I strive to do my best at school (and in the process take years off my life in stress) - but I know that at the end of it all that matters is getting a job.

I will go to University and do somesort of masters, but in the mean time (well last year, aged 14) I went to weltec and did a DipICT 5 and 6 (not finished yet), and at the beginning of this year I passed Network +, all so I could go out there and get a decent part time job to pay for more computers.

I'm now more qualified that our IT technician and I don't get paid anything...

But my ultimate goal is to get rich, through investment property and my own businesses (which I have already).