Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    robo

Default Tool for rebuilding registry in Windows 2000, ideas?

I have searched PF1 a little and found nothing too obvious. I have a sick notebook that will not let me boot with networking in safe mode, but can boot in safe mode. Registry seems to be the problem. Boot normally and it bluescreens as soon as you hit "Delete" in the three finger salute. Took about four goes to spot the word registry on the bluescreen as it dumps fast and restarts.

I looked at a registry rebuild tool on Microsoft web site but you need the startup disks and have to create them and use disk 6, etc and it seems to be a bit of a drama.

Anyone got any suggestions? Notebook has no floppy, can't do network connect, but I can use memory key and have run full virus scan with latest defs (did that before I spotted registry message).

Suggestions appreciated, as always.
    robo.

mikebartnz

Default Re: Tool for rebuilding registry in Windows 2000, ideas?

I don't know if the Recovery Console would be any use to you assuming the cd works. I have loaded mine to the HD so I get another start up option

Lohsing

Why not do a re-install/repair of Windows 2000...? Write over the registry completely... and install drivers where necessary.

I can't imagine you'd lose all your data?

Lo.

antmannz

Have you seen this site?

Note that the process described involves exporting and recreating the registry, and works because corrupted records apparently don't get exported.

johnboy

Also this site Here scrool down to registry
    hth

robo

Ant
    I saw this, but it doesn't seem to cover W2k. I couldn't find user.dat and system.dat for the life of me. I think they are win9x only. I am a little rusty on Win2K, but I am pretty sure these files don't exist.
    robo.

robo

Johnboy
    Same as Antmanzz's. Win9x only, I think.
    Damn, it shouldn't be this hard.
    I could try to boot off CD, but it doesn't have CD, and try doing a repair. Every time I have done that it failed in the past.
    The standard company policy is rebuild PC with ghost but the user has just had a heart attack, can't come in to the office, and has data on it that he wants kept. A holistic view suggests that not getting the notebook going means he can relax more and recover.
    Anyone got any other suggestions?
    robo.

Billy T

Worrying about his data may delay recovery.

This is another issue that is out of my field of experience, but why not hook up a new drive (IDG must have a few trial notebook drives around) load an OS, any OS, use one of those notebook drive patch cables to hook up the dud as a slave, extract the data, put it all back together with original drive, reformat & reinstall.

It sound simple if you type it quickly all in one sentence and can read without moving your lips.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :|

mikebartnz

Have a look for ntuser.dat in Documents and Settings

metla

Your kidding,with all the resources available you can't get access to a w2k cd?

have you tried fixing it in safe mode?,at all?

,theres a dozen courses of attack,and in an extreme case just partion the drive,move the data into a safe place.

This mythical registry rebuilder sounds sweet,i'll ask the fairy godmother for one next st.patricks day.