Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    luckysmum

Default rogue dialer or not

I have a compaq presario S306Oan and I run windows xp with Norton antivirus 2003, zonealarm, ad aware and spyware guard. Nortons, zonealarm and spyware start automatically when I turn computer on so are on full time.
    Twice in the last month I have been able to connect to the net but when I get on I cannot go anywhere and when i bring my isp details up the activity reads sent 350 and received 250 and it does not change. my isp said it was not down to them. I system restored to 2 months ago and I could connect again but I had to reinstall nortons and msn messenger as neither would work both times. My isp said it maybe a rogue dialer
    could one of these hid in my computer or my system restore and reappear or is it something else. As I have done scans and have found nothing. Can any body help please.

supergran

Default Re: rogue dialer or not

I can't help, sorry, but am also curious what software is needed to find dialers or trojans and what keeps them out, if the firewalls don't. Hopefully someone will be able to help both of us.

luckysmum

I just done a port test at shield up and my all service ports came back as perfect all stealth so I don't know how anything can get in.

Jen C

>I system restored to 2 months ago and I could connect again but I had to reinstall nortons and msn messenger as neither would work both times.

So, you can connect fine now?

Is Nortons fully up to date with the latest definitions? The same with Ad-aware, is that fully up to date? It is possible the firewall is blocking programs that require internet access - try disabling it temporarily and see if this makes a difference.

luckysmum

yes when I system restored it was ok.
    yes everything is up to date. and no zonealarm seems to be fine I turned everything off nortons, zone alarm and spywareguard when i was having trouble just to see if it was any of them but nothing changed.

Pheonix

Not a good idea to lower the firewall online unless your windows XP, is up-to-date with patches, otherwise you may be saying hello to MSblaster or Sasser worms.

If all up to date then no problems.

luckysmum

yes I know but at the time I waas trying everything. But otherwise it is never off. And yes windows, nortons, and zonealarm are all up to date

andrew93

Is this a periodic thing or all the time? From your original blurb it sounds periodic. If it is all the time then what's changed?

I used to have this sort of problem where I would dial up, connect and periodically nothing would then happen (page not found etc) - I too had ZA, AdAware, AVG & Spybot - the only way I could get around it was to force the disconnect and then reconnect. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. I reckoned it was an overload situation at the ISP - you know, a wet weekend, heaps of people online, you get connected but nothing happens.....

I never resolved the dial up problem coz I got so frustrated that I changed to the entry level JetStream - so sorry I can't help you there.

Susan B

HijackThis is a very good program for weeding out things that can creep onto your computer. Next time you suspect something is going on behind your back grab a copy, run it and post the logfile here. You will need to create a new HijackThis folder to place the file in before running it. Do not try fixing anything yourself without prior advice.

Pheonix

Wouldn't have thought a dialler would have given you those symptoms. To clear your mind, download and scan with Spybot from here IOne of it's strengths is picking up diallers.