Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    robo

Default OT - Cellphone Handset Longevity - quick survey

Hi people
    Just doing some research, can you please respond with make of cellphone (ie Nokia, Ericsson, Motorola), model if you know, how long you had it before it died, and if you did something to make it die.

EG:
    Nokia, 6310i, 14 months, not a damn thing (not that I am bitter about it)

or
    Motorola, brick, 12 years, hammered in one too many 4 inch nails

You get the idea. I am trying to establish whether a pattern is emerging, as I suspect they are dying faster than they used to.
    I look forward to your objective responses.
    robo.

lagbort

Default Re: OT - Cellphone Handset Longevity - quick survey

i had one of those generic nokia 5210i 's from the time they came out here to about mid last year, and it ws still going strong, only hassle was the thingy that held the battery in got loose, but a single bit of bluetack fixed that, it would still be going if it hadn't been stolen on school ski trip, damn theiving southerners (no offence to anyone living in the south island but both times ive been down i have had something stolen)

Alasta

My phones get a hard life.

1999 - 2000 : Motorola. Well constructed, and nothing broke on it, but I got rid of it because of problems with dropped calls.

2000 - 2001 : Alcatel. Only dropped it two or three times, but this caused the antenna shaft to crack, and this crack eventually extended down the entire chassis.

2001 - 2002 : Nokia. Didn't feel like a very solid phone, but nothing broke. I only replaced it because I needed to upgrade.

2002 - 2004 : Sony Ericsson. I am thrilled with the construction quality of this handset considering the punishment it has taken. The battery door is made of aluminium and I have managed to bend it out of shape but, had it been made of plastic, it would have been blown apart. Likewise, the face of the handset appears to be made of polycarbonate because it has chipped rather than cracked under heavy impact.

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~

Had a Sagem and Motorola. Sagem (RE815 I think) about was the very first model in NZ, wasn't used much though. Bad reception. Motorola was since 2000ish I think. T2288. Still being used by my mother. Very solid build.

hence... Motorola now again, T720, flip phone, just new since Jan. very solid, no marking so far. I upgrade the phones before they get a single scratch Yes... I'm a teen if thats what you want to ask

Jester

My wife's Ericsson A1228di phone lasted two years. Well, it appears that the battery did, anyway.

Left discharged for about a week, it now is dead. Won't accept any charge or power from the charger. We have tried reviving the battery enough to let power through so it will charge by heating it, swearing at it and threatening it, but so far nothing has worked

Billy T

Motorola brick.

I'm embarrassed to say how old it is, but provided you wind the spring up really tight it goes for hours. Gone through four or five batteries over the years though.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Steve Askew

Alcatel 311 keypad wore out after 9 months & i only send about 3 texts per week :-(
    Kids in the street tell me that worn keypads are common on alacatel's

Steve

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~

> Had a Sagem and Motorola. Sagem (RE815 I think) about

Its RC815

Murray P

# 1: About 1988, Sony (I think) portable ph the sort that you felt like you could call up the artillery or an air strike with. Separate handset with cord, flip up aerial and full size keys. Had a carry handle and shoulder strap but, you wouldn't take it too far. Its two advantages over the Motorola bricks was that it could still send and receive when everyone elses ph's were shot and the battery lasted twice as long, oh and the ringer could be heard for miles if you turned the volume up. Traded it in on my next ph.

# 2: 1990. A big old Nokia, whatever, about 1/2 the size of a Motorola brick. Just died one day for some reason. Had dropped it a couple of times and the face plate used to mist up because of the cracks but maybe the 2 times I took it for a ride on the roof of the car accelerated it's demise.

# 3: 1993. Nokia 252. Survived up until 2003 when my wife took it for a swim in the tide. It was a pretty sick puppy by that stage anyway and I hadn't personally used it since the end of 99. Had a few spills and thrills including the car roof trick. Also dropped off a three storey building but the scaffolding slowed it's decent if not it's velocity to any great extent. Keys were pretty shot at the end of it.

# 4, 5 & 6: 2000. Nokia 5120's. Kindly supplied by a benevolent boss (trying the saleried lifestyle for a chage). These ones coulnd't hack the pace. I might have dropped them once or twice but mainly they just got run into the ground with use.

# 7: 2001. Nokia 5510. Much the same as the previous turkeys.

# 8: 2002. Kyocera (the model before the 2235). Welcome to 027. Developed a split in the face plate somehow, the first week I had it?? got that replaced but it started showing tell tale signs of giving up towards the end of the year, erratic key function, etc.

#9: 2002. Kyocera 2235. Those nice Telecom folk replaced the old one with the latest model when the old one finally expired from old age.

#10: 2003. Kyocers 2235. Back in the ranks of the self employed. Did a deal with those nice folk again and decided on the 2235 because the previous one I had used was still going strong.

Cheers Murray P

tedheath

I have had a Nokia 5110 since march 2001 and its still going strong.
    In my job as a hose doctor it gets used a lot at around 500 minutes dialed out and 700 minutes received a month. It has fallen from my top pocket to the ground whilst climbing along digger booms many times. When this happens the battery flies off, the sim card falls out in the mud put it together sweet. Because it rings sometimes when my hands are oily it looks a mess, the numbers have worn off the keys as well.
    The battery wont die maybe because between jobs it sits in CARK91 kit.
    I really dont think I will ever change it other than buying another second hand that has had an easier non hose doctor life.
    I dont need a dumb wap phone or a camera to take pictures of chicks in the gym or swimming pool etc.
    I love my 5110 lol.

tedheath