Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    agent_24

Default Computer Freezes every 3 hours or so

I have a Compaq Deskpro with a Celeron 400mhz slotted processor. (quite a good computer). However it seems that, if left on long enough - it will freeze about every 3 hours. now the first time was when i was playing Age of Empires II on it, the second time - when i was surfing the net - the third just a few minutes ago, while playing around in wordperfect. I have disabled all the standby stuff i can find, but it always seems to do it after 3 hours. I have no idea why. maybe someone else can help?

tweak\'e

Default Re: Computer Freezes every 3 hours or so

> I have disabled all the standby stuff

what do you mean by standby stuff ?

what programs have you got running in the background?

also what OS ?

agent_24

Standby things like turn hard disks off after 20 min and stuff (which i have had problems with on another computer)

(probably make no diff as it usually freezes when im using it)

programs - (in the tray) well i have Norton antivirus, mixer (for my soundcard), Lightning Dowload, Task Scheduler thing

hidden (not in tray) seems to be just the Matrox Display control panel

Im using windows 98SE, have had shutdown problems before, but fixed that - the sticker on front of computer says designed for Windows 98 and NT 4.0

beama

if running 98se
    have you checked system resources
    98 is terrible for cleaning up after closing a program, dumping unsed dlls etc ( I think its whats known in C Programing and Java Programing as rubbish collecting)
    How many items are showing down by your clock, check the startup folder for any unnessary program startups
    Are there any error messages or does just freeze also when it freezes do a ctrl alt del once and check for unresponsive programs that may give you hint to whats going on as well
    good luck

Greg S

If you go into your BIOS you may find the CPU is overheating and the auto-shutdown is causing it. Else maybe the auto-shutdown temp is set too low. A reasonable warning temp is around 60oC. Suggest search F1 to find how to access your BIOS if unsure - exact procedure depends on what version you have - usually pressing Delete key during bootup

kiwibeat

Try running ad-aware and spybot thru it I also use regcleaner and fix-it myself though washandgo is free and very good

tweak\'e

its much easier if you list all the apps running (run msinfo32 look under running tasks).

also check all items in task scheduler to se if any start every 3 hours or so.

Lohsing

A friend of mine had the very same problem. Turned out after re-installing windows, etc that it was actually a failed fan on the CPU... the overheating at no particular time caused the freezing of the system.

Maybe you might want to open your case and check that this isn't the cause?

Lo.

agent_24

i have checked system resources (at least windows says there are 96% free of something) - this is a pretty new install of windows - 1 month old..

As it is a compaq, the motherboard is OEM made by compaq, and so is the BIOS, the BIOS is a piece of ***** there are no monitoring options or anything, and certainly no shutdown at 60 degrees options..

i dont think the CPU is overheating, even if it doesnt have a fan - just a big huge heatsink, i put my finger on it as close to the core as i could get, and it was just nice and warm - nothing like my video card in my other computer or anything..
    I have AIDA32 and EVEREST on it, and for temp monitoring, none detect CPU temp but there is Motherboard temp (at 26) and Aux which i suppose could be the CPU (at 38 or so).

also, pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL does nothing as the mouse and keyboard lockup when it does this, the only thing that will respond is ejecting the CD-rom, and i think if you press enough keys at once it will beep, but i cant remember.

i shall stick the list of the running apps on after ive finished turning it on
    and have a look at the task scheduler...

Greg S

> i dont think the CPU is overheating, even if it
    > doesnt have a fan - just a big huge heatsink, i put
    > my finger on it as close to the core as i could get,
    > and it was just nice and warm -

*BEEP BEEP* WARNING

If your CPU doesn't have a fan then that's a big worry - I'm not familiar with those all-in-one box machines, but it's hard to imagine it not needing a fan for the CPU, unless it's one of these.