Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Happy Harry

Default XPH Recovery Admin Password

Hi all
    I'm trying to recover a neighbours PC but when using the Recovery console, I am given an option to select which system to recover

1 : C:\windows is the only choice.
    I select "1" and press enter and then am prompted to enter an administrators password. I am assuming that this is a MS default but have not been able to get past this point.

Any ideas please (it is not enter or 1111)

Cheers
    HH

robsonde

Default Re: XPH Recovery Admin Password

did friend set the password when the computer was new?

you might need to reset the password.

do a google search for "offline password recovery tool".
    you can get a boot disk that will let you set the admin password to anything.

Noel Nosivad

Hey HH,

Is this WinXP Pro? I still need to confirm that the problem I had trying to do recovery on WinXP Home Ed was just a problem for the computer I tried to do it on.

Anyway if any of the users have Admin Privileges, you can reset the password for Administrator to whatever you want.

Go Start | Run type control userpasswords2 and then click on the Adminstrator's name and down the bottom has Reset Password, change that to what you want. Then try the Recovery again.

Hope this helps

Noel Nosivad

00falcon

With the recovery console.... you have to be a registared user...
    ...have a user-name and password...

The recovery console is a sort-of mini operating system... and because of NTFS permision... you have to log in...

not to sure if you can log in to the console with anything other than the admin account...

somebody

Usually there is no admin password - just type nothing and press enter.

Happy Harry

Hi All
    This is XP home,
    The PC will not boot to windows. It starts the splash screen and after about 15 seconds of a moving progress bar the PC freezes.
    This is why I am trying to use the recovery console but without the admin password , I can go no further.
    I checked the listed site but as I can not boot the PC to windows, I do not have access to registry.
    I have tried "enter, password and the bios password that was written inside the case" as the password with no joy.
    The worst part is that after you have a failed password attempt, you have to reboot the PC using the Windows XP Home CD. More lost time.

Any more ideas please.
    Cheers

HH

tweak\'e

i have struck that as well. easiest way to get aroung it was to install over the top.

Jen C

Can you get into Safe Mode? Try pushing F8 after POST. Safe mode in XP Home has a wee security hole when it comes to adminstrators passwords. There is a hidden default admin account that is only visible in Safe Mode which has no set password. If you can log into Safe Mode using this account, you should then be able to change the other admin accounts password, or at least create a new admin account to use. XP Pro doesn't have this "feature"

Elephant

What disks do you have? Recovery disks? Boot disks? Drivers for the Motherboard and other hardware? Full copies of the O/S? etc....

Do you need to keep or backup data on the hard drive?

Is the Hard drive formatted using NTFS?

Try booting to safe mode firsrt and see if you can get to windows as JenC says.

45South

You say:
    "The PC will not boot to windows. It starts the splash screen and after about 15 seconds of a moving progress bar the PC freezes"

This would usually indicate a hardware failure, software disaster or a cracked copy of XP that has been reset.
    If none of the above are applicable then there is another way to create new user settings but requires a degree of skill using the command line & restoring a "backup copy" of the system settings.
    It's too long winded to post here but if you leave an email addy I can send you a copy to print out.
    It will have the system running again in about 15mins or as someone has already suggested reinstalling over the top, although this can turn to custard sometimes (mind you so will using the command line if you don't do it correctly)