RayRay

Default Upgrade ram to 512 for Win2000, viable?

I am thinking of upgrading ram from 256 to 512. I have win2000 as my OS and have a P3 866cpu. My question is is this a sensible upgade option? Will win2000 make use of this extra ram like win XP?

Thanks

Murray P

Default Re: Upgrade ram to 512 for Win2000, viable?

Depends what you do with you computer, what applications, etc. Extra ram is generally welcomed on any relatively new system (& OS) and win2k has no problems handling 512MB or double that.

Why do you feel the need for extra ram? Is the system sluggish? lock up? What app's cause problems. if any? What type of ram does your board take? What are your other system specifications?

If you use office type app's, email and browsing for eg, extra ram will help with multi-tasking. If you want it for graphically intense work or games ram is good but may not be the major or only bottle neck on your system.

Cheers Murray P

mikebartnz

Ram is always a good upgrade especialy if manipulating graphics.

Billy T

I went from 256 to 512MB on a PIII 550 with W2K and never regretted it. Operation was much snappier. If the RAM fits your budget, go for it.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

RayRay

Thanks for your reply Murray.

In answer to your question, i use the computer for both work and play. I have no real problems withs running applications as i manily just use word, excel and outlook express.

i suppose i really asked the question about upgradeing ram to see if it would boost my gaming experience and to see if win2000 would fully utilse this exta memory. I know for example that it would be a waste of ram for older OS such as win 98 and ME but i have herd that XP likes as much memory as u can through at it, and i was wondering if 2000 would be like xp.

The ram type i use is pc133 and the motherboard can only go up to 512 ram. cpu 866 Gigabyte GA-6OXE motherboard.

Hope that helps

Augustus

I use a program Freeram Pro http://www.yourwaresolutions.com/products.html

This shows the amount of free ram on your computer and any one time. If you have less than 100mb at any time you need to upgrade.
    cheers

Murray P

May as well go for it. I expected you would use SD Ram rather than DDR which, if you you could have used the latter may have saved you such a big hit on your next major upgrade (new; mobo, cpu, ram, etc).

If your going to run with the current setup for the next year or more you may as well throw some ram at it.

Depending what graphics card you have though, alot of the newer games will be out of reach and some out of reach anyway without a major upgrade.

SD is more expensive than DDR Ram (not as much made so, not as common now) and I don't think that will change in the next year but don't leave it too long or you won't be able to sell the ram on, say, trademe and come away with some DDR and change (or more DDR).

Cheers Murray P

kiwibeat

More ram is always a good thing to have specially for games and multi tasking look on trademe for cheap ram