Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Advocar

Default Need help to satisfly my WIFE

Now that I have your attention here is the problem!! Recently moved PC into dinning room lounge to spend more time together but the mouse ,an A-open optical with 2 scroll rollers which are quiet, and 5 loud buttons is excellent to use but has sounds that drive wife mad!! -*To a lessor extent the keyboard as well or though careful use can reduce noise. any ideas for both

running win xp pro leadtech sound card. The noise is mechanical not sound card generated though

tweak\'e

Default Re: Need help to satisfly my WIFE

all i can suggest is another mouse or try filling the mouse with sound proofing material.

Billy T

Since the sounds are mechanical, you need to find a mouse and keyboard that are quieter. There is no other simple answer that maintains easy operation of your computer.

Sound levels are highly subjective, so take the old items with you if (when) you go shopping.

A low soft-walled screen that leave your head and shoulders showing might also help.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Jester

Use keyboard tab, enter and up/down buttons to scroll - or you can pick up a good pair of ear muffs for $20 or so from NZ Safety

zqwerty

Maybe put a pillow over the mouse. Then put your hand in under the pillow and use the mouse.

Winston001

> Maybe put a pillow over the mouse. Then put your
    > hand in under the pillow and use the mouse.

And this will satisfy the wife ...........?

KINKY

StevieRay

If you are spending extended periods on the computer, I can see why your Wife is miffed.
    However, you have made the first move and shifted your computer into the same room as your Wife, so she must see that at least you are prepared to sit in the same room. Mot all is lost.
    Perhaps you might "allow" her to take a turn on the computer instead of hogging it. Or buy her her own computer.
    However, having never been married I have no experience of what you may be going through

Middle Child

I consider that your wife is lucky she can hear the noise at all. Not everyone is so fortunate.

beetle

Turn the TV up a little louder maybe?

beetle

Murray P

This is what you need to do to get back to wedded bliss.

1) Get an old piece of rumpled sheet metal roughly the size of your keyboard, the side of a kerosene tin would be ideal. Trim to size if necessary. Procure a smallish ball of blue tack about the size of a marble. Stick the tin to the bottom of the keyboard using the blue tack in the centre of the base.

2) Get the microphone that came with your sound card/telephony package (yes the useless one you never thought you would use). Plug it into the mic/input of your sound card. Open up the sound card's properties/utilities and turn up the input volume and speaker volume as far as they will go. Position the microphone so that it will easily pick up both the keyboard and mouse squeaks.

3) Start writing your thesis, presentation, report, novel, etc, while surfing and downloading freeware or play first person shooters. Don't forget the volume controls.

4) Every now and again take a break from the computer to help your wife with such tasks as preparing the evening meal. BUT, never initiate the preparations, contribute advice, herbs, spices and seasonings, stir a couple of times then return to your computer. Never ever complete any tasks or finish a conversation.

I council you not to delay in implementing this scheme. your marriage is at risk. Upon implementation I guaranty you'll be back in your own room in no time at all if not your own dwelling. Ah! bliss, alone with your baby again.

HTH Murray ;P