Shortstop

Default To Register Or Not To Register...That Is The Question? (sorry Hamlet!)

I have recently bought Nero and Photoshop Elements - both continually urge Registration.What are the Pros and Cons of Registration?

KingWave

Default Re: To Register Or Not To Register...That Is The Question? (sorry Hamlet!)

No brainer. To sell your soul, or not to sell. Oh wait we aren't talking about Microsoft here...

Tech support.

Elephant

Default Re: To Register Or Not To Register...That Is The Question? (sorry Hamlet!)

> I have recently bought Nero and Photoshop Elements -
    > both continually urge Registration.What are the Pros
    > and Cons of Registration?

As has been said:-
    Tech Support for the Pro side.
    This may include free updates or patches.

I can think of quite a number of Cons:-
    These include onselling your details so you can get more spam.
    Getting offers to update the software when it still works for you.
    Getting more offers to use our PRO version or a version that will do more if we only outgrow the first version which may be unlikely.

Personally I don't register as I can handle my own Tech support via Google, PressF1, FidoNet and other sources on the Internet.

Before anyone jumps in here.... I don't know for a fact you will get this sort of thing from the makers of Nero or Photoshop Elements.

Elephant

Forgot to say:-

Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio: a fellow
    of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy: he hath
    borne me on his back a thousand times; and now, how
    abhorred in my imagination it is! my gorge rims at
    it.

Shortstop

So... It really is true, that an elephant never forgets, what it learned by rote in Fourth Form English. Very impressive Elephant!

I guess what I'm really seeking is whether the support you get like updates, patches and other info outweighs the assault of spam-type offers etc.

Any other views?

whiskeytangofoxtrot

> So... It really is true, that an elephant never
    > forgets, what it learned by rote in Fourth Form
    > English. Very impressive Elephant!

Or perhaps the same site that helps with the PC support helped with his post ;-)

John H

I have a yahoo mail address, and use that one for registration in some circumstances:
    1. where the registration site does not provide a check box for opting out of follow up emails etc that I do not want.
    2. where it is a software company or distributor that I am not really familiar with - I have registered with my main email address with Nero for example as a well known company and I have never received anything from them. I have used my yahoo address to register with other companies such as APC who made my UPS, and I get regular unsought "newsletters" from them.

So it is not an exact science judging which company will be responsible and which will not, but I always register software and make the above judgement which address I will trust to them.

If the yahoo one gets on-sold to spammers, I can just dump it. My proper email address is on my stationery, so it is about $500 to reprint everything if I have to change it, not to mention the hassle of letting everyone know of my change of address. This system is some insurance against that.

As to the pros, some software companies will not let you get support or updates unless you are registered; and many will not let you upgrade to a newer version at the reduced price unless you are a registered owner of the older version. Being registered has saved me money on upgrades, and got me access to technical support.

It is a matter of judgement really.