Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    robo

Default OT - Cellphone Handset Longevity - quick survey

Hi people
    Just doing some research, can you please respond with make of cellphone (ie Nokia, Ericsson, Motorola), model if you know, how long you had it before it died, and if you did something to make it die.

EG:
    Nokia, 6310i, 14 months, not a damn thing (not that I am bitter about it)

or
    Motorola, brick, 12 years, hammered in one too many 4 inch nails

You get the idea. I am trying to establish whether a pattern is emerging, as I suspect they are dying faster than they used to.
    I look forward to your objective responses.
    robo.

lagbort

Default Re: OT - Cellphone Handset Longevity - quick survey

i had one of those generic nokia 5210i 's from the time they came out here to about mid last year, and it ws still going strong, only hassle was the thingy that held the battery in got loose, but a single bit of bluetack fixed that, it would still be going if it hadn't been stolen on school ski trip, damn theiving southerners (no offence to anyone living in the south island but both times ive been down i have had something stolen)

Alasta

My phones get a hard life.

1999 - 2000 : Motorola. Well constructed, and nothing broke on it, but I got rid of it because of problems with dropped calls.

2000 - 2001 : Alcatel. Only dropped it two or three times, but this caused the antenna shaft to crack, and this crack eventually extended down the entire chassis.

2001 - 2002 : Nokia. Didn't feel like a very solid phone, but nothing broke. I only replaced it because I needed to upgrade.

2002 - 2004 : Sony Ericsson. I am thrilled with the construction quality of this handset considering the punishment it has taken. The battery door is made of aluminium and I have managed to bend it out of shape but, had it been made of plastic, it would have been blown apart. Likewise, the face of the handset appears to be made of polycarbonate because it has chipped rather than cracked under heavy impact.

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~

Had a Sagem and Motorola. Sagem (RE815 I think) about was the very first model in NZ, wasn't used much though. Bad reception. Motorola was since 2000ish I think. T2288. Still being used by my mother. Very solid build.

hence... Motorola now again, T720, flip phone, just new since Jan. very solid, no marking so far. I upgrade the phones before they get a single scratch Yes... I'm a teen if thats what you want to ask

agent

Does it count if they're already semi-dead when you get them?

I had an Ericsson T28sc in 2002, and it suffered from a problem of sometimes not being able to find a network within two months of acquiring it. I had contacts cleaned and software upgraded before it eventually got to be so problematic that it was traded in for a T28 World under some sort of warranty.

However, the same problem emerged in that phone - straight away. So under the new warranty, I got a replacement for that as well, but the same problem came up after a week.

It eventuated that the whole T28 line suffered from this problem, and there was nothing I could do about it. The T28 was such a nice phone, too :'(

All said though, I've now been using a Nokia for nearly a year with no problems.

nz_liam

Erickson - 1997-1997 (Display chipset problems)
    Erickson (warranty replacement for above) - 1997-1998 (Destroyed)
    Another Erickson - 1998-1999 (Display chipset problems)
    Another Erickson (warranty replacement for above) - 1999-2000 (Destroyed)
    Alcatel One Touch View 2000-2000 (Smashed display)
    Alcatel 301 - 2000-2002 (Still in service and working well)
    Nokia 8210 - 2002-2003 (Battery & antenna problems, destroyed)
    Sharp GX10i - 2003-Current (Works well, no problems, best phone Iíve owned yet, no intentions to replace yet).

Jester

My wife's Ericsson A1228di phone lasted two years. Well, it appears that the battery did, anyway.

Left discharged for about a week, it now is dead. Won't accept any charge or power from the charger. We have tried reviving the battery enough to let power through so it will charge by heating it, swearing at it and threatening it, but so far nothing has worked

Billy T

Motorola brick.

I'm embarrassed to say how old it is, but provided you wind the spring up really tight it goes for hours. Gone through four or five batteries over the years though.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Steve Askew

Alcatel 311 keypad wore out after 9 months & i only send about 3 texts per week :-(
    Kids in the street tell me that worn keypads are common on alacatel's

Steve

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~

> Had a Sagem and Motorola. Sagem (RE815 I think) about

Its RC815