Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: network problem

karent

Default network problem

Good afternoon. We have 3 PCs running XP Pro. Have set up network (we thought!). One PC can see the other two, but two can't see the other one. The error message is:
    "PC3is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact ths administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
    Logon failure: user account restriction. Possible reasons are blank passwords not allowed, logon hour restrictions or a policy restriction has been enforced."
    We do not use passwords to access any of the PCs.
    Any help from the many of you who know heaps more about all this than we do is much appreciated. Ta.

whetu

Default Re: network problem

go into the local area network connection properties. there should be an authentication tab in there. from within that tab there should be an option to enable/disable IEEExxxx authentication. Disable it on all the pc's and see how that goes

karent

Hi. I did as you suggested but it hasn't made any difference. Do the PCs/router need to be rebooted?

Graham L

You may not use passwords, but you will need matching accounts on each machine. I believe that the "Guest" one will do, but it needs to be enabled.

karent

Guest account enabled on all PCs. Still not working - one is now asking for a password to the PC it can't see on the network. Not sure if that's a result of the earlier suggested fix or the latter (disable IEEExxx authenticaton). Once again, having made these changes do the PCs have to be rebooted?

Graham L

Probably a good idea. A lot of things need a cold start to be properly initialised.

aNtzy

> Probably a good idea. A lot of things need a cold
    > start to be properly initialised.

I saw you at the CHCH library (in the city) ... just a few minutes ago in fact ... forgive me for not introducing myself but you looked like you we busy typing. Well anyway, carry on!

- aNtzy

Susan B

> I saw you at the CHCH library (in the city) ... just a few minutes ago in fact ... forgive me for not introducing myself but you looked like you we busy typing.

How did you know it was Graham? Was he the only one busy on the PF1 page?

There are other people who use the library computers to do that too, you know. ;-)

karent

Getting back to the subject ...
    Made those changes, rebooted and still can't see PC3 on PC1 or PC2. Grateful for any other suggestions, thanks.

Susan B

You don't have any firewalls running do you? Ensure that the Windows one is disabled as well until the network is set up.