crummy

Default Outlook "Contacts" to address book?

Hey everyone, I've just formatted and backed up outlook's .PST files... however, now that I've restored them, the address book is ... gone. It appears that the address book is not stored in outlook's .pst files. Damn.

Anyway, now when you type a new message and click the "To:" field, there are no contacts at all. Because there's no address book.

So, my question is - is it possible to export the contacts to the address book?

Thanks!
    - Malcolm Crum

Using Outlook 2002 (came with Office XP), on Windows XP SP1.

robo

Default Re: Outlook "Contacts" to address book?

If you've formatted already, you are in deep shtuck. I can't remember what the file is called. The personal address book used to be in a PAB, but I am not sure they are now.
    I usually use the export functions first to dump the data into a couple of forms just in case.
    robo.

crummy

Alright, so I can't get the address book out of the .pst files (because its not stored there) - I know its possible to export my contacts folder to .CSV or anything similar... can I import them into an address book?

Susan B

> Alright, so I can't get the address book out of the .pst files (because its not stored there) - I know its possible to export my contacts folder to .CSV or anything similar... can I import them into an address book?

I do not and have not used Outlook so I could be way off mark here but if you have not backed up your address book, why do you think there will be anything in your "contacts folder" to export? I am totally confused about that bit. If indeed you do have addresses in that "contacts folder" and it is able to be exported to a .csv format then yes, you could import it into your Address Book.

Other than that the only way I can think of to retrieve your contacts' email addresses is to open each email message and choose "Add sender to Address Book" - assuming that Outlook has this function like OE does. Would be surprised if it didn't.

robo

Yes, import should be doable, from a PAB or CSV.
    You might be able to import the contacts folder from the PST you still have. Sounds weird, but it's worth a try. I would give it a go.
    robo.

crummy

Ah ha... it appears that after delving through Microsoft Outlook, there's an option to use the contact list as an address book... thanks for your help!

crummy

On the export to csv then import to address book option, I tried that, but I use groups in my address book (ie send an email to "underwater hockey" and it sends it to the whole team.) It appears that .CSV doesn't support this, and I couldn't find a format that did, that the address book could import.