Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chilling_Silence

Default Hotmail and Yahoo! dont work in IE 6 - Secure Connection Problems??

Greetings,

We've got a box running Win98 here at work that just doesnt like Hotmail or Yahoo.

This is all very well and good, as Ive setup Firefox with the IE Icon and renamed it to "Internet Explorer" on the desktop, so the customers can at least login with Firefox.

MSN however still insists on using IE 6 its browser of choice when you click on the "XYZ New Email messages", which doesnt work.

Manually fire up firefox and login yourself and its sweet as.

My conclusion with IE not logging in to Yahoo or Hotmail is that its something to do with Secure connections??

IE works fine with the ASB Bank website though?

Any ideas?

Cheers

Chill.

stu140103

Default Re: Hotmail and Yahoo! dont work in IE 6 - Secure Connection Problems??

Have you check obvious thing like the computer time & date & clear out the Cookies check for spy where/virus etc...etc...?

If you have done that, have you tried reinstalling IE?

Chilling_Silence

> Have you check obvious thing like the computer time &
    > date
    Yes

> & clear out the Cookies
    Yes..

> check for spy
    > where/virus etc...etc...?
    Yes.. yes.. yes.....

> If you have done that, have you tried reinstalling
    > IE?
    Yup, ran the repair :-)

Chill.

stu140103

Oh , bugger

I hope some one lese has some better ideas :|

**Bump**

agent

I'm going to make several assumptions here, so my suggestion probably won't be much help.

I should think that, when you click on the "X New messages" link in MSN Messenger, it uses some hash formed by your login, so that the whole system knows you have already validated yourself and you don't need to re-enter your password to read your emails (unless you tick the option to require entering your password to read emails - which in some sense would probably be preferrable at a cybercafe, given that many people stupidly leave themselves signed in so the next person on can be mischievous).

Seeing as it works when you go to Hotmail using Firefox, we can safely assume that Firefox is allowing cookies to be set (or you are allowing them manually). IE isn't working, so I'd take a look at the security and cookie options - is it even allowing cookies to be set?

Obviously the problem isn't restricted to Hotmail, so the problem should lie in the cookies. One way to test this is by logging into a Yahoo account - remember that you can check your Yahoo emails by logging in over SSL or normally (webmail, that is), so if you can log into Yahoo over SSL, then the problem shouldn't be related to security protocols.

Some more details on what it does when it doesn't work (eg, does it given an error, or a blank page, or what?) might be helpful.

Chilling_Silence

As stated in my first message, Yahoo isnt working either. Yahoo Messenger works.. Yahoo Mail in IE doesnt... Yahoo Mail in Firefox does.

Basically, IE just stops loading the page. It gives the "You are entering a secure connection" alert, then stops.

Ideas?

Chill.

agent

So you can sign in to Yahoo webmail via a non-secure connection?

If the answer to that is yes, then check whether IE has the high security (128-bit) pack installed, and whether it is set to allow use of SSL, TLS, etc.

Jim B

If it is a security setting problem how do you explain the fact that he can login to the ASB bank

Chilling_Silence

<bump>

Anybody else have ideas? This is really getting me down :-(

Chill.

stu140103

If you donít get any more replyís part from this one

Try reinstalling windows?