JJJJJ

Default Have I wasted $115 ?

Last week I decided there was not enough fun in my life so I bought a copy of Flight Simulator 2004. Then my problems started.
    Every time I try to install it ,it starts off OK but sometime during the install it comes to a halt with the message: "Install could not extract all the files from MSgameX.cab" The X is any number between 1 and 5.
    I have spent over four hours on the phone with MS support ,and still things are exactly the same. I sent the disks to MS and they report that it installed on their comp. without any trouble.
    I have got to the stage where I can't think of anything else to try.
    I have copied the four CD's to my hard drive and tried to install from there. Exactly the same result.
    I have increased and decreased virtual memory. I have disabled anti virus. I have uninstalled Adaware and Spybot. I have cleaned out all temp files. I have removed all stray files and any odd ball programs.
    I even disabled Hyperthreading. I changed my bios setting to "Safe Mode"
    I have run Checkdisk and defrag. I have run scannow. All my scanner software has been removed. ditto printer software.
    What else can I do ?
    My comp is a P4 3.01 with 1024 megs of paralell ram.Am running XP home.I have over 80 gigs free space in the partition.
    Any suggestions will be welcomed with open arms.
    Jack

CYaBro

Default Re: Have I wasted $115 ?

Have you got another CD-ROM you can try in your PC?
    Sounds like it might be having trouble reading files off the CD's.

Also, sometimes when I have had trouble installing programs from CD it has turned out to be faulty RAM. Try running memtes86 and just to check the RAM in case.

tommy

Try checking your discs with CDCheck and see if it reports anything unusual.

Murray P

JJJJJ, Have a look at your Event Viewer in Control Panel > Computer Management for any warnings or errors and a clue to the whereabouts of an error log. Could be your CD can't handle the CD's copy protection.

Cheers Murray P

Graham L

So now your life is being enriched by colourful language expressed towards your computer, Microsoft, ...

This is not supposed to happen.

Possibly memory ... but that usually gives an error message.

Have you got any power-saving options enabled? If the CD drive shuts down while some enormous .CAB file is being decompressed, it might not get up to speed in time to load the next thing. Again, it should complain ...

But it should give proper error messages. Just saying "NO" isn't good enough. ;-)

brig

jack

type this

MSGAME1.CAB

into the "exact phrase" box of Googles' Advanced Groups Search and you'll see that you aren't the only one who has had this problem. There are some useful sounding suggestions

brig