Waynz

Default Roaming Profiles - Win2000 server (Lockdown)

Hi

What I would like a little help with is this:
    I am running a windows 2000 server with active directory most have a roaming profile but one profile is used for the pupil and what I want to do is lock the desktop so that they can not keep changing it (Which they do all the time add icons move things around and delete thing from the desktop)

If anyone can help with this little problem.

Cheers Wayne
    :-

CYaBro

Default Re: Roaming Profiles - Win2000 server (Lockdown)

In Active Directory on the pupil properties Profiles tab ake sure you are using a profile path on the server somewhere.
    Then log in as the pupil on a workstation and setup the desktop etc how you want it to be. Then log off and log on again on another workstation and make sure it is the same as you set it to be.
    Then on the server go to the pupil profile path and find the ntuser.dat file and rename it to ntuser.man. You may have to set the server to show hidden and system files to see it.
    Then go and test it.
    You can still change desktop icons etc but when you log off and on again all settings should be back to how you set them.

whiskeytangofoxtrot

Active Directory is something I'm not overly familiar with, would it be possible to just remove the inherited permissions from the Desktop folder so the student has read only access to it rather than full read and write.

Waynz

Yes I Have looked at doing this BUT what if I Had to update the desktop (Add icons etc) I would have to change promission all the time - Some said that you might be able to have two uses that have the same profile BUT one is locked and the other is not - if anyone knowns about this.

Cheer wayne

whiskeytangofoxtrot

If you set the permissions so the Pupils has read only access to the Desktop directory, yet the administrator (or your user) has full read and write it should be fine.

Waynz

Thank

renaming ntuser.dat to ntuser.man works fine BUT the background (wallpaper) is none - This is on the XP Pro machines - Can anyone tell me where in the profile the wallpaper is stored or set? If not how to have the wallpaper come up the same on all the xp pro machine at bootup.

PS The desktop pro properties for the themes is Modified theme NOT Windows XP and in the Desktop tab the ground that i want is highlighted BUT not active and I can browse to find another one

Cheers wayne

Merlin

Share one profile among multiple users - such as pupils. Why have many profiles when it is possible to have a few. Place the location in the user account profile path.

To update or otherwise modify the profile for all users, change the ntuser.man file to nt.user.dat, modify, save and then change the file back into a mandatory profile.

Home directories are separate and should not be confused with profile location.

A profile template covering this can be created and left permanently disabled.

Incidentally, do the names Pam, John, Tanya, Aaron, Katie and Nathan strike any chords?

Men are four:
    He who knows not and knows not he knows not, he is a fool -- shun him;
    He who knows not and knows he knows not, he is simple -- teach him;
    He who knows and knows not he knows, he is asleep -- wake him;
    He who knows and knows he knows, he is wise -- follow him!
    - Lady Burton (wife of Sir Richard Francis Burton), given as an Arabian proverb

Graham L

"lockdown w2k server" to Google should get you (among other things) a link to a manual you can download (free) from Microsoft. It might be a useful resource.

Waynz

Yes These people ring a bell?

Merlin

I have been in contact with Pam regarding John, Frank and Dick Forman