Chilling_Silence

Default Games to run on Low-spec graphics cards in Doze & Linux

After purchasing a laptop today (with an SiS-based Graphics Card - I knew this before I bought it) and my mate has just bought a lappy with an S3 graphics card, we're looking to play a few games while on the road.

Then there's my Family's PC which has the budget SiS 630 onboard VGA which we'd like to join in with the games sometimes.

Im curious to know what sort of games are out there that dont require a high-end graphics card?! I can run most Windows games under WineX if I need to, but Im just after something with LAN connectivity.

We've got Quake2, but want something a little more than _just_ that :-)

Any recommendations?

Cheers

Chill.

metla

Default Re: Games to run on Low-spec graphics cards in Doze & Linux

AOE2 with conqueres expansion.

um...

Whats your overall impression of the laptop so far chilly?

Chilling_Silence

Nice laptop.
    I installed an "normal" linux distro for a couple of hours earlier today, but there just wasnt enough power to do what I wanted so Im compiling Gentoo now.... :-(

Just for the record, here's the Specs:
    Pentium4 2.8Ghz, 30GB HDD, DVD/CD-RW, Network, Modem, Firewire, IrDA, Inbuilt Webcam, 512MB Ram, 1 year International Warranty. Battery lasted for a little over 2 hours while watching a DVD from the HDD, everything running at max brightness (The CPU automatically slowed to 2.2Ghz though). The touchpad is nice, doesnt get in the way like a lot Ive seen. Well worth it :-)

AOE2... I think my mate might actually own that. Thanks :-)

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Chill.

agent

Quake 3 Arena would run, but your probability of getting a frag would drop drastically unless a proper mouse was plugged in (also a proper keyboard, depending on the style of the laptop keyboard).

Presumably slower-paced games would be better, such as AOE2, Jagged Alliance 2, Starcraft, Warcraft 1/2/possibly 3. Multiplayer in GTA 1 or 2 would be fun, aside from not using much system resources and being easy to play with a lappy keyboard. If there's a racing game with multiplayer, that would also work.

mejobloggs

If you like car games, Midtown Madness 1 is good. I think I ran that on my 300mhz laptop at one stage, it has fun multiplayer too, kind of "tag" with cars, and a bar of gold.

Civilization 2: Test of time is also good, ran that on the slow laptop, or you could get freeciv.

zminos

TA ( total annihilation ) plus battle tactics and core continginces ( sp ) which are the add on packs,

You can get AI packs for the game ( to make it harder ) and there are a hell of alot of 3rd party units you can install.

oh yeah just an afterthought... mame

Chilling_Silence

Ive tried Quake 3, runs like a dog :-( I made this post after trying it actually because I was a bit bummed about performance.

So it looks like Strategy games like AOE and Warcraft are mostly what Im limited to....

And why use Mame? Ive got xMame ;-)

This is good.. Any other suggestions?

Chill.