2 usb ports
    4mb video ram
    running windows xp home and office xp pro

i plan to upgrade...
    teh ram to 640mb ram
    processor is ok, so will leave alone
    as is teh floppy
    as is teh cd rom
    i will put a cd writer on one of teh usb ports (dse cyber drive 52x external writer)
    the vid memory i cant do much about, but i would like to get a pci vid card

what do you guys and gals think?

also some questions...
    1. my computer was made during 2002. is it likely to have usb2?
    2. can anyone point me to a place to get half height pci cards? (video, usb)
    3. i plan to upgrade ram, but not by myself. if i get bigbyte to do it for me, would they supply teh ram as i dont know which type it is LOL (can email cyclone computers and find out)

godfather

Default Re: Need advice on upgrading

You will struggle to find half height cards, and if you can get them the cost will probably be a huge premium. The external writer would cost much more than an internal.

Adding all these "extra" costs, my suspicion would be that a new case and motherboard would not be a lot more than you would need to spend anyway (assuming you can even get the HH cards)

You could keep the keyboard and mouse (though looks as though the keyboard has the e and h keys swapped by your spelling of "the"?)

Use Pricespy or similar and do the sums.

infinix

My personal opinion would be to just not upgrade at all.
    Computer prices are pretty damn cheap at the moment, especially if your not wanting much more than what you've currently got.

I'm not sure if you'd really notice the difference with the significant RAM upgrade you speak of.

If your monitor and other external components are fine, then perhaps look at customising your own PC.
    And also as godfather said, I have found PriceSpy to be an excellent source on where to find the cheapest parts.

tweak\'e

first thing is what are you useing it for? playing games or just net surfing?

if you are only doing basic stuff i would upgrade the ram and swap the cd rom for a burner.

zminos

dump the case and buy a new case with more power, why get 64mb? go for at least 256 ( providing the mobo can handle it ) and with a new case you could even go for a nice pci graphics card like a radeon 7000 or something.

but then like what others have said, you haven't stated why you want to upgrade apart from it's sloooowwww.

hell slow could mean you don't defrag :P

Megaman

cant defrag, only has 6% hd space free

so im putting all new stuff on teh* other partition. but what i'm mainly looking for is to put at least 256 more ram in, and am looking for a cd burner to backup all the photos on teh* hard drive

* look here to see why i keep saying teh [clue]to see my reply, i am teh user "anon"[/clue]

Megaman

cr@p got teh wrong link :8)

try here

metla

the ati 9200 range of cards are available in low profile versions for no more then reguler cards.

JJJJJ

It all depends on how much you have to spend. That much extra ram won't do much for you. Though with win and office XP it will certainly help.
    What make of comp. do you have. Sounds like it may be HP or simliar in a micro case.
    IMHO I think you may be wasting your money. I'll bet your psu is about 200w as well.
    It probably won't have USB 2. Though usb 2 won't do a thing for you unless you have usb 2 peripherals attached.
    I would suggest looking around for a cheap second hand machine if you can't afford a new one. eg. I recently sold one for $400 that had an Athlon xp 2000 cpu, 512 megs ram, a 40 gig hdd and a cd rom rw.
    good luck
    Jack

Megaman

me has a cyclone computer