Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Kenshin

Default $75 for 2 metres!?!?!??

Hey all, today I went out today looking for an optical cable to use on my Soundstrom and Logitech Z-680 speakers ...and to my surprice they are selling for 75 bux for 2 metres!!! Man ...that's way too much ..and just wonder if u guys know anywhere that I can get some cheaper stuff??!?

nav2u

Default Re: $75 for 2 metres!?!?!??

have a look at the dick smiths web site they have better rates than what u have mentioned in ur post....

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...uct/View/C0064

nav

Billy T

Optical cable for speakers ?:|

I assume this is for linking your computer sound card to inbuilt power amps for the speakers?

Optical is overkill for the price of the speakers. IMHO there is nothing that optical can offer over copper wire unless you are in a serious Hi Fi situation with $,000 invested, and even then it is a "golden ears" argument. If you are listening that hard you are not enjoying the music, you are listening to sounds.

Stick with copper, anything else is simply pose material. You won't hear any difference.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :|

-=JM=-

If I remember correctly it won't be so much the optical/copper argument but by using an optical cable it will bypass the DAC which is in use on that particular onboard sound solution. So it *should* be better because they don't use very good DACs on them.

godfather

I'm with Billy T on this one.

Frequency response of that system is 35Hz - 20kHz.
    Its nothing that far out of the ordinary that you would see a noticeable improvement with optical coupling in my view.

It may bypass the on-board DAC, but it introduces another 2 conversions.
    Audio Signal -> Light -> Audio Signal.

metla

Still,would be cool to have light being fed into your speakers...

BaasHenk

Try "Surplustronics" , Queen st AKL. They beat Dick S on price by far!

Graham L

To get the best sound you need a $700 IEC power cordfor the amplifier. And a power conditioner. And...

And more money than sense. :_|

Kenshin

Actually Billy I am not so worried about the losses of copper wires. It just that with digital I can use the Dolby Digital encoding on my Soundstorm ; ) thus creating surround effect with 5.1 source!

Cheers!

Billy T

Fairynuff Jeff, sounds like a valid reason to me.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)