Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Neil McC

Default How do I install a new video card driver?

Please explain ,as I've kept putting it off as each time I attempt this I spend 2 hours and don't know how it happened in the end!!!!!!!So I've still got 30.82 in this thing!I think my problem is I refuse to load the VGA? drivers(default?) as I want the new driver installed of course!
    I realise from reading the Nvidia instructions that the new drivers will automatically install,but reading recent posts,some of you recommend uninstalling the old ones first.I know how to do that bit!It's the horrible screen that comes on next that throws me.
    So can anyone give me clear instructions,please,as my wife's away this weekend and I've decided to try again.I've got the 44.03 and 53.04 drivers ready!
    Thanks.

Chilling_Silently

Default Re: How do I install a new video card driver?

Go with the 53.04

Try this:
    Reboot into Safe Mode
    Right-Click on My Comptuer and choose Properties
    Click the second tab along and click the Device Manager Button

Find your Display Adapter, right-click it and choose Properties

There will be an option somewhere to remove the driver.
    Do this

Then just run the executable :-)

Restart the PC [b]if it asks[b] before you run the setup.

Hope this helps

Chill.

drcspy

just try loading the new ones anyway it's what I've done and it worked fine jsut overwrote the old ones I guess

nadius

if you uninstall the video drivers, after the restart the screen will probably look nasty. that's simply because windows is using some generic drivers that are not designed for your card.

don't worry about it, it's normal.

just install the new nVidia drivers (by double-clicking the file you downloaded) and follow the prompts.

Neil McC

Thanks guys.I've had a look Chill, and there's an option to update the driver in that process,which is what I've tried to do before,only ............!Anyhow,will give it a go,but not a late night task!Trouble is,after trying last time I've ended up with a folder with a later driver in it that it couldn't find, inside the Nvidea 30.82 folder that it reinstalled.So I have two installations of drivers to get rid of first!!Suppose I just can't delete the folder with the 41.09 driver in it that it's not using?Better show.
    C/Nvidia folder with 30 driver stuff/Win9x/41.09/4109 driver stuff
    Confused?So am I.
    It,s the first options after uninstalling a driver that mucks me up.Do I have to select the VGA? option,then does it say there's another device etc?
    Thanks,Neil.

drcspy

control panel/system/hardware/devicemanager........clik on the listed 'display adaptor' and the + sign beside it then clik the listed adaptor then right clik on the listed adaptor and clik 'remove'........
    then restart ......you will get the crappy windoze 'default' drivers (16 colour etc ) but dont worry at that point you can then double clik the nvidia driver thing...........

Neil McC

Thanks again guys,now have 53.04 on.Wasn't too bad after all!Now for Firefox and Norton's-well maybe the Nortons can wait a bit!

Peter H

I would leave Norton's off for ever - causes headaches for a lot of users.
    Bye

Neil McC

I'm considering that Peter.Have already uninstalled Systemworks and am using Diskeeper to defrag!

Peter H

If using W98, there is a program called "crackup" out there, that tells you whether a defrag is needed. In my case, 2 years after last format, it shows only 2.1% so don't need to. Also, if using 98, install the ME version of defrag - a lot better I have read.
    Bye