forrest44

Default Does linux-wlan-ng work on Linux kernel 2.6.x?? Also: fedora 1.90 released

Does anyone know if the linux-wlan-ng (see linux-wlan.com) wireless lan packiage works well with Linux kernel 2.6?
    I have it installed with kernel 2.4.20-8 (that came with redhat 9), but most of the time when I start up with the USB wlan device plugged in, it crashes.
    I'm thinking a later kernel version will solve this.

Is Fedora 1.90 any good (I think it was released recently)?
    Will it run on 128MB RAM? (I think I can get 256MB if its really needed). Fedora 1.90 uses the 2.6.1 kernel - I saw on distrowatch.com this morning.

Cheers
    Forrest.

Chilling_Silently

Default Re: Does linux-wlan-ng work on Linux kernel 2.6.x?? Also: fedora 1.90 relea

Im not too sure, but fro m what Ive heard the wlan has been improved a fair bit.

Might pay to compile your own kernel. Its not difficult at all, and is a very rewarding experience.

Fedora Core 2 has apparently been delayed in release by around a month?
    AFAIK, Test 1 is due out today?

You may even have luck running up2date and getting a newer 2.2.x kernel. IIRC They're on 2.4.24, but have stopped development except for security fixes.

Its worth a shot, but bear in mind its their first test release.....

Chill.

forrest44

Default Re: Does linux-wlan-ng work on Linux kernel 2.6.x?? Also: fedora 1.90 relea

Uh.. I can't run up2date.

My ISP is on the other end of the wireless network thing!!!

And I have another problem: When I run make config, make xconfig, make oldconfig or make menuconfig in the kernel source (2.4.24) directory, it spits out a few errors like: line 51: command not found, then line 68: invalid syntax - I can't quite remember everything in detail.

Could prism2 usb drivers acctually be built in to the 2.6 kernel?

Chilling_Silently

They could be if you make them, otherwise Im pretty sure Redhat/Fedora would just make them a loadable module.

Try getting the kernel-2.6 source onto a CD (perhaps from work, ask your IT dude if you have one) and take it home...

Does make menuconfig actually do anything, or does it halt there?

And check the rhn.redhat.com website for rpm updates of the kernel .rpm files :-)

Chill.

forrest44

Menuconfig just stops there and drops me back to the command prompt.

What I am wondering is, will Fedora run on 128 MB RAM?

Chilling_Silently

It will, thou they recommend 192 (At least they're honest).

Might be best to stick with GNOME on 128MB RAM.. KDE will run, but it'll be a bit slower.

Chill.

Graham L

Default Re: Does linux-wlan-ng work on Linux kernel 2.6.x?? Also: fedora 1.90 released

USB seems to be a problem. At least you've got a prism2 one. I've been struggling with a non-prism2 one. I haven't used wlan-ng ... must look at that. The wireless tools seem to prefer modules for USB, rather than built in (but that may be because of the AT chipset).

I'm using RH9, but I have gone to 2.4.24 (at about my 13th compile).

I always login as root to do the configure and compile ... that might get around any PATH problems with commands which you might be having.

You could try a "make clean" or "make mrproper" ...