Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PoWa

Default 256k speed Jetstream and 128k Jetstart on one phone line. Attn GF and Robo

Ok so we've currently on a Jetsteam Home 1000 plan and the speed is 256k (30kb/s+). According to the Jetstream usage meter we've run out of MB's for the month so we're on 20c a meg from now on.

Now just today I signed up for a Jetstart connection with the same ISP but as a new user. I have activated the account with the ISP.

Now I logged into the new jetstart account on the router, and strangely (but happily) I am getting the same speeds as I would with the other connection. So I'm getting 30kb/s speed (256k).

Now is this a "safe" thing. I know its good I'm getting twice the speed I should But seeing I have a 10gb limit on my Jetstart account, the downloading I do on this is not going to affect the Jetstream home plan is it??? I'm not going to end up with a $1000 bill from telecom because it was using megabytes on the jetstream home plan as welll???

Lets hear from someone who has a full speed jetstream account and a jetstart account as well

Chilling_Silently

Default Re: 256k speed Jetstream and 128k Jetstart on one phone line. Attn GF and R

Im on JSS with Ihug, still download at 16KB/s

Chill.

Big John

Default Re: 256k speed Jetstream and 128k Jetstart on one phone line. Attn GF and Robo

Obviously Telecom have not changed their required bits and you are still getting the 256K speed. I would clarify with Telecom as they may charge you for the data seeing as you are still getting the speed. But then you could put it back on the ISP for not getting Telecom to do its work.

The choice is yours.

robo

Default Re: 256k speed Jetstream and 128k Jetstart on one phone line. Attn GF and Robo

I think this is dangerous to do, as soon as a loophole becomes apparent it shall be shut.

Why limited to 256k on Jetstream 1000 home? Have I missed something? I didn't think that was limited? I'm on 1000 home and I get like 700k/bits (area miles away from exchange).

robo.

whiskeytangofoxtrot

Default Re: 256k speed Jetstream and 128k Jetstart on one phone line. Attn GF and R

> Obviously Telecom have not changed their required
    > bits and you are still getting the 256K speed.

This is a rather odd situation. JetStream Starter uses the ISP's bandwidth, and takes an IP address from a dynamically asssigned pool of ISP IP addresses, which won't work in the JetStream Full Rate or 256K realm.

JetStream 256K or FullRate uses a (usually static) IP address in the Telecom range.

I find it odd that what you are describing is occuring. Are you sure you've changed the username and password to the new account details, you aren't still using the old ones?

That said, call Telecom soon I'd say because the longer you leave it the more it'll hurt your back pocket.

whiskeytangofoxtrot

> I think this is dangerous to do, as soon as a
    > loophole becomes apparent it shall be shut.
    >
    > Why limited to 256k on Jetstream 1000 home? Have I
    > missed something? I didn't think that was limited?
    > I'm on 1000 home and I get like 700k/bits (area miles
    > away from exchange).
    >
    > robo.

JetStream 500 and 1000 are available in two flavours, 256K or full rate, have been for some time now

robo

Oh, well bugger me. That explains it. I knew they had a non-announcement a while back. So what's the cost saving? Is it much?
    robo.

PoWa

I've checked the jestream usage meter and it hasn't increased - its last update was at 18:07:32. So just after 6pm. That sounds about right as I logged off the Jetstream user account at about then and signed into the new jetstart one.

I've checked my new Jetstart account and there is a few mbs used on there so its definitely logged into that.

I'm going to keep an eye on the jetstream usage meter and if it increases then I'm going to get annoyed.

I guess its not a good idea to inform them about their stuff ups, unless I can see the jetstream usage meter increasing. The jetstream usage meter actually interfaces from some database with my ISP as I see it loading data from the isp before it finally shows up the graphs etc.

So seeing I'm not logged in with my ISP on the jetstream account, they can't show any more usage? Heres hoping .

Besides I like it when they make a royal stuffup. A few months ago we had jetstream full speed going on my jetstart login (uncapped) and I downloaded like 20Gigs at full speed while only paying for my regular jetstart. So maybe this has happened again. I remember at the time my IP with the high speed was in the same range as it is now.

But I believe the jetstream usage counter could be lying as it says the month I was uncapped I downloaded 80gigs which is not true as the isp logs which are accurate showed I only did over 20.

I would like to hear from Godfather because I think he has a full speed and a jetstart connection. Not sure if thats correct. I thought you had something like that too robo?

whiskeytangofoxtrot

About $10 pm or something by going for the lower speed.

whiskeytangofoxtrot

Yeah, but the Telecom usage meter records the usage on a "line" basis, so all usage, be it JetStream Full, 256K or Starter will be recorded by this meter - indiscrimnately, it markes usage as usage.

Only the ISP usage meters will register it on an account by account basis.