00falcon

Default FSB and over clocking...

HI all...

Got me a 1.8 GHz P4 on a 400 FSB... VIA P4MA...

I turned my FSB from 100 upto 108 which in turn took my GHz from 1.8 to 1.94 ( I can take it to 109 to get it to over 2 GHz)

@ 1.8 @ idle it 37 Degres
    Under load... 5 miniute photoshop Action... it hits about 44 Degres

@ 1.94 @ idle its about 39-40
    Under load... hits about 47 - 48...

With in limits i am assuming...

Now just before my 'puter' crashed and just Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeppppp...
    so i dived down and swithched the power supply off...
    left it for bout 2 minutes and crancked it back up....
    in to the BIOS and back to 1.8...

My question is... I dont think it got to hot as when i went back to the BIOS to set it back the temp was reading 37...
    So does Over clocking by the amount i O/C it have any other side effects other than heat....

P.S.... my case was open at the time of the crash... i have heard that having an open case is not good for the desired air flow.... but anywho... having an open case dosent really seem to effect the temp...

Using BIOS and SANDRA to keep an eye on the temp...

I not really in to over clocking.... as 200MHz dosent make that much diff...

Just curious as to what i have yet to learn about hardware...

Thanks

agent

Default Re: FSB and over clocking...

Changing the FSB also speeds up other components in your computer, such as the rate at which data is transferred to an AGP card and RAM (something like that, I'm sure I haven't used the right terms though).

Some modern motherboards therefore allow you to lower the transfer rate to other components, which makes overclocking more stable, but not all do.

You should definitely perform a long burn-in test after each overclock, to make sure the computer is stable. A program I used to run was Prime97 (or 98, etc, can't remember), and you can use it to theoretically test your hardware setup.

metla

The modern boards ive messed around with automatly locked the apg and pci slots so no manual adjusting down was needed when increasing the fsb.

Thats only the couple of boards ive overclocked on of course,theres millions of variations.

Personally im not a believer in overclocking,seems to me its more rewarding to just make a system efficiant rather then risk instability or increasing the heat by overclocking.

00falcon

Im with you on your last comment metla

I can change my AGP and PCI speeds inderpendently of the FSB...

and the only things that changed (as told by sandra) was the FSB, CPU Voltage, and the CPU Core Power.

But only ever so fractionaly.

Yeah... ill over clock my PC's in the garage C300 P233... but a 1.8 P4 is ample for what i need... 90% of the time its just a surf machine anyway....

Question... if the PC resets(crashes), it'll run its post agian... and beep to let me know its fine...

If windows resets/Crashes, the PC wont run the post and so no beep...

Is this right...

Graham L

The Power On Self Test runs when the CPU is reset. That happens at turn on because the "Power OK" from the power supply holds the reset line low until all the supplies are stable and at the right level.

I don't think that Windows has any way to cause a hardware reset when it crashes. By definition, when the operating system crashes, it doesn't know what it is doing. The best thing it can do (or should do?) is issue a halt command.