Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    aroc

Default Anyone keen to set up an anonymous proxy in a shed somewhere using wireless

Ok I was thinking seeing southland now has wireless internet, why not build up a shed somewhere in the farmlands or in the bush, completely hidden, stick a computer in it and connect it up to the net using a woosh wireless modem.

Then we could set up an anonymous proxy service on it so certain people in NZ could route their traffic through it and anything they did on the net wouldn't be able to be traced back to them. So for example download mp3s etc and not be able to be traced.

The computer would run linux and clear its memory and history every night. The main stuff would be stored on a ram disk, so if the power was turned off any evidence would be erased instantly. Also someone could have a kill switch set in, to remotely fry the hard drive if someone caught on. The computer could be managed remotely too of course.

Of course for access to the proxy you might pay $5-10 a month to cover the woosh fees. The speed would be 250k for $60 a month. So if there were 6 people using the proxy (any more it might get a bit slow) it would be about $10 each a month. Its just a matter of setting up an ISP account with a fake address and name. Simple. Its not like they put GPS into the woosh modems right? The nearest physical location they could come to finding the shed would be a 30km radius from the nearest cell tower.

Sound feasible? I reckon it would be a classic. Even better, dig a big hole in the ground to make a basement and have a boost antenna in a tree or something.

I'm keen, email me if you want to register your interest and remain anonymous. ]

Fire-and-Ice

Default Re: Anyone keen to set up an anonymous proxy in a shed somewhere using wire

Yeah, great idea except for one thing: if you end up in the bush what are you going to plug the thing in to for power?? Got some really big batteries handy have you? ;-)

bmason

Default Re: Anyone keen to set up an anonymous proxy in a shed somewhere using wire

I can think of a some potential weaknesses:

- Hardware failure. I know people who have used computers to setup wireless WANs in cities and a big problem they had was with hardware failing all the time. There are too many moving parts in a PC, plus software issues. But with just one I it would be manageable.

- If you will be restricting users, then you will need some form of authentication, reducing their anonymity.

- If the proxy isn't in your basement how do you know it hasn't been tampered with. RAM disks & a kill switch aren't a gurantee.

Lots of high bandwidth, dodgy traffic is going to get attention. Then woosh can:
    - "Follow the money".

- If they wanted, woosh could log the IPs connecting to the proxy and all the traffic.

- Probably trace the woosh modem better than you think. If there is more than one tower they should be able to triangulate. If its just a single tower I think they can tell which direction you are in. Then I assume they could hop in a car and head in that direction with some signal detector thingy.

flying_green_leprachaun

As a Gedanken experiment it has merit. Albeit it seems overkill for the task. I have yet to see New Zealand threatened in the same way that the US is dealing with its own citizens.

But since I like the concept of retaining privacy for its own sake there are any number of alternatives that could be suggested for those of us outside the 30km radius of your theoretical shed ;-)

1. There is the encrypted route, for instance, WASTE
    with the associated trouble of finding trusted peers

2. The I don't trust you in advance method of Peer Guardian
    a brief look at it here with plenty of more reference material nearby ;-)

3. Then there are Legal Alternatives

or you could combo out & just let "The Man" look elsewhere... admitadly it would look suspicious if someone were ever to have a good look at that setup ;-)

but enough of this gedanken experimentation ;-) we all know that NZers are law abiding consumers

Chilling_Silently

You could always ssh into the PC, and rm -rf /

agent

Do I sniff a bit of paranoia here? It'd going to be hard enough sustaining a shed in the middle of nowhere, let alone not attracting attention.

As said, we are not at the sort of level that the US is at in terms of rampant enforcement of internet piracy rules, etc. You don't have much to fear as of yet.

It'd be a nice idea, if put into action, but it's far fetched.

PoWa

> You could always ssh into the PC, and rm -rf /

Rofl. Yeah I think they need someone like you on the job Chill. You could set up the linux side of it.

I think its a great idea, how do I sign up? It might work out if you can find a suitable location and power. What about solar panels and maybe a small diesel generator. Or if a house is nearby, get a long extension cord?

Would be a good way of combatting the ongoing threat of internet privacy.

Megaman

$5 fast internet and a proxy a month

sounds dodgy

im sorry but it really does sound suspicious

aroc

> if you end up in the bush what are you going to plug the thing in to for power??

Well thats probably one of the main questions. Maybe you could secretly tap into someones house line, or if they are in on it, then run a super long extension cord underground. Otherwise you might be looking at a generator of some sort. Then whoever is running the show just makes a trip over there every second day or something to give it more juice.

> Hardware failure.
    It might be a problem, but with reasonably new parts it should be good. You can build a resonable one for under $1000 these days. That would be all that would be required to run it.

> If you will be restricting users, then you will need some form of authentication, reducing their anonymity.

Not necessarily. You could basically do it with one password for all type thing. So if they pay to use it, then they get knowledge of the current password and they can use the proxy. They wouldn't be allowed to tell their friends about it, and the password could be changed weekly/daily. Even if authentication was neccesary it doesn't matter, because they would be in on it anyway. Everyone using the service would probably know each other in some way. The idea is to hide the details from the law enforcement, BSA and RIANZ type people. The drives get wiped anyway so any authentication logs would be gone with it.

> If the proxy isn't in your basement how do you know it hasn't been tampered with. RAM disks & a kill switch aren't a gurantee.

I guess we could set up a handicam/webcam or similiar device which could relay a current video feed back through the modem to whoever is in charge of the system. We could have all sorts of bells and whistles, if the door opens, silent alarm triggered etc which sends through the modem. Then someone could simply push ctrl + shift + c + F9 + F12 and initiate a low level format on the thing. If it was a false alarm, norton ghost will save our ass.

> Lots of high bandwidth, dodgy traffic is going to get attention. Then woosh can: - "Follow the money".

Maybe but if someone paid by cash each month or made a company bank account etc then it might get difficult. payment of the ISP fees is another problem. Because if they start tracing it, then you don't want them tracing it back to whoevers paying the bill. You want fake name, fake address, unknown money trail.

> If they wanted, woosh could log the IPs connecting to the proxy and all the traffic.

I guess that might be a problem. But they are not going to think its a proxy straight away. For all they know the computer itself could be making the requests. I guess we could figure out a way to disguise who was connecting to it somehow. Maybe set up 2 or 3 of the systems in different locations, so the people log into system 1, which forwards all the traffic to system 2, which just forwards the traffic to system 3 and system 3 does all the work of the members requests. It would be one hell of a nightmare trying to track all that down.

> Probably trace the woosh modem better than you think. If there is more than one tower they should be able to triangulate. If its just a single tower I think they can tell which direction you are in. Then I assume they could hop in a car and head in that direction with some signal detector thingy.

If there were 2 towers I guess they could triangulate. One tower I don't think they know which direction you could be in. They would just have a signal strength and then they could determine what radius you might be in around that tower. They might have 30sq kilometres to cover. Even if they find the place, thats what the kill switch is for.

> But since I like the concept of retaining privacy for its own sake there are any number of alternatives that could be suggested for those of us outside the 30km radius of your theoretical shed

You don't have to be within a 30km radius of the shed. All a person would need would be an internet connection anywhere in NZ to route their traffic through the proxy.

> we all know that NZers are law abiding consumers
    No we're not hahaha.

> As said, we are not at the sort of level that the US is at in terms of rampant enforcement of internet piracy rules, etc. You don't have much to fear as of yet.

The rampant enforcement is coming. Internal affairs is on the hunt for P2P users. The certain telco bill about to be passed or already passed that lets your isp monitor/log everything you do for the police.

It could all be done for a couple of thousand bucks, no huge cost. More comments...

aroc

Of course each user communicating with the proxy will need to have end to end encryption like SSH, so their own ISP can't read a copy of the data being transferred. The only thing the ISP might be able to detect will be an encrypted session with some random IP address, that in theory doesn't even have a geographic location.

The hard drive on the proxy could also be fully encrypted maybe with something like drivecrypt. I know linux can have its own encrypted filesystem.