Lizard

Default Accessing the web

Okay, here's a weird one. I decided to a reinstall of windows last night, so I backed up all the important data. I also uninstalled al lot of programs, with the intention of doing a fresh intall of those as well. The main reason for this was I was having problems with the sound - DVD movies were very very low during the dialogue, and MP3s were sounding weak in places also. I'd already tried updating soundcard drivers and codecs, to no avail. I thought a fresh install of windows would help.
    Now the internet isn't working properly. I can connect to my ISP, but IE won't download any pages, Outlook won't download my e-mail, and it seems like I can't receive any data. Added to which I haven't even solved my sound problems.
    Here are some details
    AMD K7 500mhz
    320MB RAM
    Sound card: Genius 3DX2 (I think. It's a pretty budget model)
    Windows ME

Any thoughts? I spent too many hours mucking around with it last night, and I'm too frustrated to think clearly about it. If I can't fix it, I'm thinking about formatting the HDD and maybe installing 98SE, but I haven't really had any problems with ME, so I'd prefer not to have to do that. Also, I have some large files on the HDD with no easy way to back them up, so unless it's the only way, I'd like to avoid that...

Thanks
    Lizard

Pheonix

Default Re: Accessing the web

One thing to try is to get into your network settings and under protocol, delete the tcp/ip protocol. Restart PC and then install it again through the network settings.
    Also after that, you can try deleting your dial-up connection and make another one.
    Just to clarify also, when you open IE and try to go somewhere like Google.co.nz , what happens? Do you get a timeout message? If you use zonealarm, do the indicators flash to show data has gone out?

Anyway, a good nights sleep makes that mountain turn back into a molehill. Or is that too older saying. Just showing my age I guess

Lizard

> One thing to try is to get into your network settings
    > and under protocol, delete the tcp/ip protocol.
    > Restart PC and then install it again through the
    > network settings.
    > Also after that, you can try deleting your dial-up
    > connection and make another one.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try it when I get home...

> Just to clarify also, when you open IE and try to go
    > somewhere like Google.co.nz , what happens? Do you
    > get a timeout message? If you use zonealarm, do the
    > indicators flash to show data has gone out?

No, don't use Zonealarm. ALthough the icon in the System Tray for the internet connection flashes to show that data packets (data requests, I presume) are going in and out. But in IE, what happens is... nothing. I wait, and wait, and then just for fun I wait some more. It says "Finding site www.google.co.nz" at the bottom for ages, then stops. Nothing. I think it may have returned a DNS Server error, but that doesn't mean much, particularly when the e-mail doesn't download either. Would the TCP/IP settings affect Outlook?
    One thing I do remember is that when reinstalling Office 2K, and ran OUtlook for the first time, it asked if I wanted to set up some fax program, so I could "fax as if I were e-mailing!" I went ahead with it, but I'm now wondering if it hijacked some settings...

> Anyway, a good nights sleep makes that mountain turn
    > back into a molehill. Or is that too older saying.
    > Just showing my age I guess

No, not too old! It's true, a good night's sleep does put things into perspective. It just frustrated me when I thought it would be so simple...

Lizard

Tried resetting the TCP/IP protocol, but no luck.
    I ended up re-installing XP, but that was no picnic. Had to load 98SE onto my second, smaller HDD (only OS that would fit), so I could reformat the large HDD and put a fresh install of XP on it, then delete 98SE off the small HDD. But the problem with the sound is still there... Bugger

drcspy

check ya modem in device manager for errors.............maybe also it's not set to the correct country settings this WILL make a considerable difference

Lizard

No, the modem was fine. It was connecting to the internet, and negotiated a connection with the ISP and logged on to the network and everything. The problem was I couldn't download e-mail or webpages. Nothing was coming up. But it's all fixed, now I've reinstalled the OS. Don't know what the problem was, but it obviously had something to do with my reinstalling ME. XP has sorted this out. The sound on DVDs is still a problem. see my other thread "Low Sound on DVDS" for that particular head-scratcher.

Thanks for the advice.