fergy

Default BIOS Update failed. PC dead

Does anyone know someone who can re-flash a BIOS?
    I copied the original BIOS to a floppy disk then tried to upgrade and failed. I thought I followed all the instructions. PC is now totally dead and will not respond to the power switch apart from the power light coming on.

whetu

Default Re: BIOS Update failed. PC dead

there's a chance you can blindflash it, and failing that you can try hotswapping... more info can be found at http://www.wimsbios.com/

fergy

Thanks Whetu. What is blindflashing please? The PC won't even look at a floppy currently but I've been given another old PC which may have a BIOS I can move temporarily to get this one running.

Odin

Go visit some computer repairers and see if you can get a Bios chip off a dead motherboard (must be the same as yours though) you can also order a new Bios chip from your board manufacturer, while this cost is high it isn't really outragious (most of the time anyway)

Octavian.

Some motherboards have a Flash Recovery jumper usually labeled 'recover/normal.' If this is the case then there is hope. Check your motherboard manual to see if this is covered.

godfather

Spme motherboars have the BIOS soldered in, and not removeable.

New motherboard required in this case.

Mzee

I recently had the same experience.
    The manual told me to short out the bios with a certain jumper on the Motherboard. It then booted on a floppy and I was able to get into the Bios Set up and reset everything. Its all sorted.

kevsteel

All you really need is to find the original bios on the internet,then reflash the bios.Most flash utilitys are very simple but only work in DOS,so you will need a windows boot disk to start up,then insert a floppy containing the old or original bios,type the name of the file and press enter!!

tweak\'e

not that simple. most dead bios can't boot enough to get a vid card going so you will need to do it blind. most manafactures sites give instuctions on their recovery procedures. most likly you will have to write an auto running scipt file to install the correct bios.