Thread: packaging pc

ahoundau

Default packaging pc

hi a simple one :-) can any one suggest the best way to package a desktop pc and mointor for freight by sea - should i just pack it in its original boxes, or is their a need to add cushioning foam or more to the boxes?

cheers will

hamstar

Default Re: packaging pc

i would add foam, polystyrene, bubblewrap. Original boxes. Y'know whatever it fits in.

antmannz

Probably the more cushioning the better.
    It won't be the sea trip that'll damage them, it'll be the loading and unloading at either end.

Jester

.... add an e.p.i.r.b, balloons and a waterproof bag should the container go 'swimming'....

Seriously now, ensure that the shipment is adequately insured. Your shipping agent can help with the type of cover you will need. Photograph it before and as you pack it, and have documents available to prove its worth should the worst happen.

J

whetu

put them in the orginal boxes and then pack those boxes again in slightly larger boxes, preferably plain or minimally marked.

This is especially the case when sending gear nationwide, I've heard a few horror stories about our couriers, so I dont imagine shiphand courier type personnel being much better. So if you keep the boxes plain and boring, they wont be inclined to take a peek and have a five finger discount... in theory...

somebody

Original boxes have properly shaped/sized foam packing, so it can hold everything securely. As whetu said, pack those boxes in blank larger boxes (eg. the plain corrugated ones you can get from Warehouse Stationary), properly tape up the boxes (including some which go fully around the box several times to prevent seams coming undone). Put several bright-fluro orange "Fragile" labels on the boxes as a warning, and also "this way up" stickers if possible.

Insurance is a must, as you never know what might happen to the packages, especially when travelling to other countries.

Megaman

and add an alarm that sounds when the box is opened

god i hope customs arent members of pf1...

Jester

I would actually disagree with the suggestion to repack the computer boxes in plain boxes.

Reasoning:

- Bill of Ladings and packing slips show what are in them anyway

- It aids in identification and correct delivery if the exterior tells what's in the box

- Transit staff would treat what is obviously computer equipment better than what could be a 'box full of pillows'

- Customs staff would more than likely want to see just what all that electrical stuff they can see on their xray is inside that plain, suspicious "don't look at me, I'm nothing" box.

J

albatross

Jesters methods would be best......except of course the E.P.I.R.B........if this is stowed the wrong way,you`ll have the MSA to explain to,actually to all seafarers.