Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Noel Nosivad

Default Off Topic - Light Switch Wiring, need explaining

Hi,

I've tried searching for explanations on this but it's either some foreign or old way of wiring.

What I'm am trying to accomplish is have two switches control one light fixture.

I need someone to help explain the light switch, what "1", "C", "2", and "Loop" are and how would I wire it up if I wanted to have to switches control one light fixture?

I've looked at the switch, and I wasn't able to find my voltmeter to find out which was the power and which was the bulb but in the layout of the switch I had both black wires connected to the Loop, and then one red wire on "1" and the second wire connected to "C" and nothing connected on "2".

Could you determine the power source by linking which red wire is to what by the way it's been setup?

Cheers,

Noel Nosivad

P.S. Sorry for the off topic, I didn't know where else to try.

Pheonix

Default Re: Off Topic - Light Switch Wiring, need explaining

Should you be playing with such dangerous voltages without full knowledge. Death IS permanent, and takes all the fun out of life.

Phase (red or brown) should go to Switch 1 (SW1) C , Light (red or brown) should go to Switch 2(SW2) C , Neutrals (black or blue) should common together (loop). and SW1/1 should connect to SW2/2 and SW1/2 should connect to SW2/1.

Just incase it is not too clear, SW2/1=Switch2 terminal marked 1.

Pheonix

Nice picture hre

godfather

The loop terminals have no involvement in the switching process, just a connection for the Neutrals.

There is no guarantee that the switch would have been wired originally with the live feed phase to the C (common) terminal.
    Thats what's intended but in practice, but where no loop-on of the live feed phase (to another switch) is used it could be either in the Common or 1-way switch terminal.

The 2-way terminal is only used in 2-way switching.

The light circuit phase should be in the 1-way terminal, but as above it could easily have been transposed with the Common (Live feed).

As above, death is very permanent.
    Testing on completion by a qualified person to AS/NZS 3000 is also law, to assure safety.

godfather

Re-reading your post, you need "strap wires" 1 - 1 and 2 - 2 between each switch.

Live feed phase to C on one switch.
    Light circuit phase to the C terminal on the other switch.

Also while some switches have terminal 2, its sometimes a dummy that doesnt make a connection unless the switch was purchased as a 2-way.

Recommend employing an electrician, for your safety and and continued insurance on the property.

Noel Nosivad

I'm trying to understand this. The diagram doesn't provide wiring and I already knew how to draw a schematic diagram of the circuit, just understanding the switch is the problem as I'm not sure whether 1 wire or 2 wires are selected when in the on position or whether one or no wires were selected in the off position.

So if the switches aren't two-way because "2" is possibly a dummy, I could not make a connection with 2 switches where either one can switch on or off the connection?

It would just be one of the switches wouldl be able to turn it on/off as well as the other, which is basically the same as having just one switch?

Thanks for the information so far. It's been great.

Noel Nosivad

godfather

The mechanics of the switch work as fillows:

C connects only to 1 in switch position "on"
    C connects only to 2 in switch position "off"

Nothing connects to the loop terminal in the switch.

The problem with some 1 way switches is that the tip of the connection on 2 is missing, so there can never be a connection C to 2 in the "off" position. You need to verify this with an ohm-meter when the switch is totally disconnected from the mains.

You sound as though you are unfamiliar with the system, and again I urge you to use qualified persons to do this work. Its a legal requirement in NZ.
    Somewhere in the future, someone will perform maintenance after you have done the wiring, and any non standard work then puts others lives at risk.

Graham L

Replace the switch with a cord switch. Use long strings to each place where you need to operate the switch.

String is wonderful.

somebody

Definitely agree on that point. Electrician's charges may cost you a bit of money in the first place (unsure, but guessing about $100 plus materials), but in the long run will gurantee legal compliance, and ensure there is no risk to you, or anyone who uses the light(s).

Especially as you do not seem to be too familiar with electrical wiring, what you are doing is likely to put your life at risk. Please, please take care if you do decide to do it yourself. Your friends and family will certainly want you to be around in the future.

somebody

And if you do do the wiring yourself, do what Godfather said and get it checked out by a qualified electrician. Nobody likes to hear about friends/family being killed or seriously injured while doing electrical work.