ssssss

Default When one is installing a program, should one disable the Antivirus program?

I believe one should, but am not sure.
    The programs are from a trusted source - ie Nullsoft

Peter H

Default Re: When one is installing a program, should one disable the Antivirus program?

I never have. It has never caused any problems, and think that it would be best to leave it operative.
    Bye

Fire-and-Ice

Default Re: When one is installing a program, should one disable the Antivirus prog

Some programs need the AV disabled when installing, some don't but it's hard to know which is which. Scan the installation files with an up to date anti virus first and then turn off your AV to install. Don't forget to re-enable the AV afterwards. ;-)

Chemical Ali

Default Re: When one is installing a program, should one disable the Antivirus prog

Emphatically yes!

ssssss

Thanks. Will do.

Greg S

Genrally yes - some apps require it, some don't. So best rule of thumb would be to disable it in all cases

Mike

Default Re: When one is installing a program, should one disable the Antivirus program?

Some interested replies in this thread.

If you are required to disable your Antivirus program, the installation will usually ask you to do so. The only time I have ever disabled my AV during install of another program is when the install has asked me to. Every other install I've done has been with the AV active. I've never had any issues caused by not disabling my AV during install. That said, I've never tried not disabling it when the install program has asked me to, so it might even be possible to install those with the AV active.

> I believe one should, but am not sure.

Why should you? It would be safer not to. There's really no need to.

Mike.

sam m

I am wary of any programme that asks me to disable AV before installing. I would investigate further.
    The only programmes that I would expect me to disable would be some sort of security programme, anything else would have me wondering.

Mike

> I am wary of any programme that asks me to disable AV
    > before installing. I would investigate further.

I've only ever been asked by trusted software. I would not do it if I didn't trust the software I was installing.

Mike.

jontext88

the answer used to be "always" . eg office 97 would never install while nortons was active.
    however most Antivirus prog's are now more intelligent and leave benign installs alone. however one does come across a really sensitive prog install now and then, so.... scanning installation file with the AV then temp disabling it and going offline while installing is good practice. reverse all of above after.