Thread: junk mail-Spam?

effie C

Default junk mail-Spam?

Hi everyone- Happy new year.
    since around christmas I have been received- unsoliticited- 30 odd e mails - twice a day- inviting me to claim my free cell phone/collect my free groceries/ meet Bebbie,Vanessa, Mary ,etc etc,- and only US citizens need apply or qualify.
    I am spending at least ten minutes each time I log on, blocking my incoming e mail (using Outlook Express) and still the blocking is not working, or conversely, new names come in that are designed to beat the blocking.
    I am using the XTRA spam blocking facility,and that shows 30 - 50 blockings at any one time- separate to the above-but this e mail spam, is driving me to fury
    Can anyone help( or send me a virus that I can forward to and reply with as a deterrant
    ;-))
    No doubt my address has been sold to some smart arse in the States
    :-(
    effie c

cyberchuck

Default Re: junk mail-Spam?

What setting are you using with Xtra - block and delete all spam or just tag and forward on?
    You could try using MailWasher to manage your emails as that [supposedly] has a nice record for dealing with spam (I haven't used it though). Alternatively the latest version of Eudora has excellent spam management as well.

Otherwise you could just ring up Xtra and change your email address then go around notifying all the family and people that send you emails of your new email address?

Mike

> Otherwise you could just ring up Xtra and change your
    > email address then go around notifying all the family
    > and people that send you emails of your new email
    > address?

Don't forget to tell the spammers your new address, otherwise they won't know where to send your spam

Mike.

Jim B

You will have to learn to live with it like the rest of us I am afraid.

It is a waste of time trying to block senders in Outlook Express if the Xtra spam filter is not picking it up.
    If it is all coming from the same domain then you may be able to setup blocked senders to block all mail from this domain but you will still have to download it and it will then go into your deleted items.

As mentioned changing your email address is the most effective option.