Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Term_X

Default Who Uses The Free AVG Anti Virus?

Im just wondering what's people's opinions on this software, can i completely depend on this free version and its limitations?. Ive just installed it and found my pc was rife with the W32.Parite virus but AVG found all traces and the ones that couldnt be healed i deleted.. I ran it again and it was sweet.. no viruses..

Im curious as to what other people think about this anti virus program. I dont think this free version of AVG checks the registry though

Please Enlighten Me! ;-)

Cheers

Term_X

Chilling_Silently

Default Re: Who Uses The Free AVG Anti Virus?

I used to use it and found it great. Some PC's at work have it...

If you're after Free Anti-virus, for a year, you can get free Anti-virus from a company (Cant remember the name sorry) as part of a security initiative from Microsoft.

Check the Windows Update website and click the "123 easy steps to secure your PC" link.

...the follow your nose :-)

Cheers

Chill.

miknz

Have used it for over a year and found it good, although since xtras antivirus system came in the number of virus alerts has dropped to almost nil.

I have friends on other isps using it and they all think it performs as well as retail scanners.

Susan B

There are other threads here where people have asked the same question if you want to search for them but have a look at these two for a start:

http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread....1&thread=41270

http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread....1&thread=42079

Jester

I've used it for a few years now, and have depended on it, it's never let me down. It's installed on all the famiy's PC's too and recovered them from some serious messes.

J

Blue Druid

I have used AVG (free) for several years now and it seems to just get better. I update twice a week (usually Thursday and Sunday) with each update taking less than 2 minutes usually. The only things that snuck through was blaster which arrived before I had updated or even found the patch and a browser hijacker which was included in the very next update. I have also tired PC-Cillan and of course NAV but still return to AVG for preference.

Craig321

I use it on an old 'hack' machine. Have had no problems - which I must admit makes me wonder if it is truely working. As all my other machines on commercial 'paying' systems - are picking up stuff and liiting access to 'ports'. I also note that emails sent from this machine don't have the Free AVG sign off etc..
    cheers

drcspy

maybe u didnt enable it ?

Scattershot06

I once had AVG keep telling me that there was a virus in the System Volume Information folder, but it never picked up the virus when I did a scan.

gerrypics

Scattershot06,
    You needed to turn off system restore and do another scan.