Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jen C

Default No power to CRT monitor

My Likom 17" CRT monitor doesn't seem to be getting any power supply - that is, the LCD light will not activate and the screen remains blank. I have checked for loose connections. The monitor is nearly 3 years old.

This has just happened. The Likom monitor was attached to the Linux box, but I heard the XP box reboot (I was out of the room at the time). Both boxes/monitors share the zapcatcher board and are plugged into the same wall powerpoint. Whilst the XP box was rebooting, I could see that the Likom monitor was blank with no power, but the box hard drive activity light was still active (couldn't see what it was actually doing - possibly rebooting as well?).

Question is now, what would cause my Likom monitor to lose power and at the same time cause the XP box to reboot. Would a power surge from the now defunct monitor cause this? The zapcatcher's light remains on so I presume a power surge didn't come through the wall powerpoint.

I have put my XP box's LCD monitor onto the Linux box and it works fine. So, is losing all power to the Likom monitor sound fatal - does this sound like a repair job (of what internal component) or should I start shopping for a new monitor?

All advice appreciated.

Jen

Jen C

Default Re: No power to CRT monitor

OK update time .... :_|

I just lost power again for a second to all devices plugged into that zapcatcher/wall powerpoint. It was enough to cause the computer to reboot, the external adsl modem/router to reset plus lose its adsl signal. None of house lights were affected.

Could this be:
    a. A powersupply problem from the house wiring on this circuit?
    b. The dead Likom monitor, which was still plugged into the board causing some backflow earthing/current problem?
    c. Santa has just discovered that I was a bad girl this year and is getting revenge by trying to kill my computer piece by piece?

Thanks

Jen

beetle

hi Jen,
    im not hot on the help topic but i think Godfather has said in the past that Zap catcher lights still go even when there is a fault to the box / system.
    it still shows it's ok when its not working properly or intermitintly as there is a different power source for the light?

i may be off here, this is from memory.

what other things did you have plugged into the zapcatcher apart from puter? & monitor? printer? does everything else show up as ok?
    and youve checked the cables... so none looking worn or kinked?

otherwise i have no more ideas at this point sorry.

did you have a good day anyway?

beetle

stu140103

> b. The dead Likom monitor, which was still plugged
    > into the board causing some backflow earthing/current
    > problem?

have you tried unplugging it???, & see if the same thing happens again????

> c. Santa has just discovered that I was a bad girl
    > this year and is getting revenge by trying to kill my
    > computer piece by piece?

heheh

I donít think that Santa would be that mean to you ] ;\

Jen C

Thanks for your comments so far

>have you tried unplugging it???, & see if the same thing happens again????

Yes, the dead monitor is now unplugged. I am not sure whether some dodgy electrical device in the monitor could have this affect - I know they hold quite a high charge for sometime after being disconnected from power. I only have the Linux box powered up now which normally gets left running, so I will wait and see whether it happens again.

>im not hot on the help topic but i think Godfather has said in the past that Zap catcher lights still go even when there is a fault to the box / system.
    >it still shows it's ok when its not working properly or intermitintly as there is a different power source for the light?

I guess that does depend upon what the voltage variation was, might not of been enough to trigger the safetly switch, but enough to cause momentary power loss to the electrical devices.

>what other things did you have plugged into the zapcatcher apart from puter? & monitor? printer? does everything else show up as ok?
    >and youve checked the cables... so none looking worn or kinked?

Only had the two PC's and the usual paraphernalia that goes with them - not enough to overload the circuit. I only had the one computer powered up when the second power loss occurred.

>did you have a good day anyway?

I was up until this point

Still looking for comments, even if it is to rule out that the dead (but then still plugged in monitor) could of caused this power supply problem.

Cheers
    Jen

beetle

have you tried plugging in the monitor in another power source?

will it go then? or not?
    on / off button ok? sticking or dirty?

sorry not more help Jen,
    wait for the powers above to come online and give their words of wisdom i guess....

do monitors have a fuse in them? (nooby asking here)

beetle

dumdum

Like Beetle mentioned......I`d check the fuse first.....being christmas you may just get lucky.
    Here`s hoping,
    DD

Megaman

it could be overloading of the powerboard. i would recommend 1 power switch per computer. is your house an older one? it could be the old wiring not up to the job of powering both computers. what i did was i also have a linux box and windows xp box. try getting an extension cord and plugging the linux box and screen into that. it worked for me

Jen C

Well after sitting all night disconnected from power, the monitor now works again ?:|

I tried it back in the original socket in the surge protector and it received power OK. For safety, I have now got the monitor plug into a different wall socket via an extension lead.

> it could be overloading of the powerboard. i would recommend 1 power switch per computer. is your house an older one? it could be the old wiring not up to the job of powering both computers.

The house wiring is fairly new, and having two PC's on the one powerpoint should be fine as Iong as I don't power them both up at the same time.

I think I need the monitor guru's to swing by this thread, as I am not sure whether the Likom monitor could disrupt the power like this. If so, I will have the monitor professionally checked out, or if it isn't worth it, get another monitor.

Cheers
    Jen

[pre]I was so looking forward to an excuse to get a new monitor for the Linux box,
    as having the LCD on it overnight made me realise just how poor quality the
    Likom monitor is[/pre]

Billy T

Hi Jen

1) There shouldn't be any problems on a standard power outlet supplying up to 5 computer/monitor combinations. A single outlet is rated for 15 amps (or 3450 watts) so that would allow nearly 700 watts per computer. Computers rarely draw their full psu power rating unless already stretched, and then only during pretty much full on use of all facilities so 50-75% of the PSU rating would a a normal draw, plus the monitor and associated peripheral drain. This would be unlikely to exceed 450 -550 watts.

2) The most likely cause of spontaneous reboots is a power interruption, otherwise known as a power drop-out) which may be external (Energy Company supply related) or internal (loose plugs, loose fuse at switchboard, loose wires in various interncoonecting cables etc).

3) Zap Catchers offer zero protection against drop-outs, they are only good for transient spikes (over-voltage incidents) and then only for very brief micro-second events. If a car hits a power pole outside your house and 11 Kv wires drop onto 230 volt supplies your equipment is history, along with your zap-catcher.

4) I can't explain why your monitor would have behaved the way it did, but as a general rule I find that it is best to do a complete power-down after supply incidents, leaving the whole system off for 2-3 minutes then power up again. Monitors do store high voltages for quite some time but nothing is stored in the LV control circuitry. However, with sophisticated electronics it can take a minute or two for all circuits to revert to a true "off" state.

Cheers

Billy *<8-{)