Brad H

Default OEM XP PRO Compaq Restore CD, Install not on compaq

My Dad's work brought alot of new computers from Compaq a few months back, they came without the OS installed but had cd's of win 2000 and xp bundled with them. The company that my dad works for has a volume license with MS and the cd's were unneeded and put next to the rubish (so people would take them). My dad took a few of cds but we have had no need to use them so far, At the moment I am building my own computer and I was wondering if I could legally avoid having to buy windows again as I have these restore cds. The company paid for the copies of windows but they have never been used or installed. When you try and boot of them they say that they are designed for compaq computers only and will not boot but if I put in a bootable floopy disk and access the cd I can gain access to the i386 folder and winnt.exe which will run, but before I install I just want to make sure that it will install and not stop half way through leaving crap all over my new hdd. Has anyone tried this before? Is this in anyway breaking the EULA or other contracts as the cds have never been used?

Archibald

Default Re: OEM XP PRO Compaq Restore CD, Install not on compaq

Yes this works! I was thrown a plastic bag full of the Compaq software. In the bag you get (as you know).... Win2KSP2, WinXPProSP1, Compaq Restore CD and a Compaq Reference Library CD.

This was given to me experimental purposes only and had to give it all back to the admin.

No problems with the installation (on a brand new HDD) and went without a hitch.

Only one problem is that you'll need the CD key that came with that software (any XP key won't work with this particular distribution of Compaq software. Thats why I had to try four keys before I could install windows.

Never looked to see what was on the restore disk.

As far as I know, it is illegal to install that software on your computer as its licensed for a Compaq computer only.

Makes more sense to keep this software. Label it when unpaking the boxes and don't mix up. (as we did)

Before anyone flames me for this, it was EXPERIMENTAL ONLY and no longer on my system. Yes yes I know thats no excuse.

mikebartnz

Default Re: OEM XP PRO Compaq Restore CD, Install not on compaq

More than likely illegal