Thread: My 1st Website

Craig

Default My 1st Website

I have made a my first real website this afternoon. It will soon be host to many computer related e-books, including Windows, Linux, networking, web, and many others. Currently I haven't uploaded any e-books and have only been working on the website a couple of hours. It would be much appreciated to have you guys visit it and give me some feedback (keep in mind it's my first website attempt). Also watch it because in the next few days there should be many e-books which I'm sure you would like! Thanks. http://pcresource.bravehost.com

Susan B

Default Re: My 1st Website

Quite a nice tidy little website for your first effort - well done. :-)

Where are you getting the e-books from?

45South

Good on ya Craig, I'm sure as you spend more time on it the site will come together.
    Have another read through your texts, they doesn't make sense in a couple of places.
    Only one query though
    Do you have the authors permission to make the books available for download or are all the books freely available.
    If not, I'd be very careful, you don't want to be sued for copyright protection, plagiarism or even worse distributing warez.
    Might pay to check it out before you make anything available for download

45South

dear oh dear I'm just as bad
    that should read:
    "they don't make sense in a couple of places."

godfather

Thats well done.

In IE6, the PC-Resource banner is being overlaid with the text "The Key to a...etc"

In Firebird its fine. The left hand links are all over the place though

In Opera the text isn't there at all. Again the left hand side links are not as bad as Firebird, but not as good as IE6

Resolution 1024 x 768

Jen C

Looking nice @ 1024x768.

It is nice that it will contain some Linux content.

I visited the site with three different Linux browsers and took some screenshots so that you can see how they display (I have re-sized the images a bit). As godfather has mentioned, some items move around a bit between browser types.

MozillaFirebird - 0.7

Konqueror - 3.1.4-6

Mozilla - 1.4.1

Keep up the good work

Kame

Thanks for the screenies Jen, now I can comment better since I only had IE6.

In IE6 my first impression was the overlaid text made it impossible to read, in fact RED is not a good text to use as it's hard to read and draws too much attention to looking at the RED instead of what else is on the site.

Unfortunately for coding, messy but I don't blame you, that's FP5.0 and I guess it's acceptable for WYSIWYG.

Browser compatibility will have to be your next goal, making it suitable for most browsers. Have a look at Stylesheets.

Another thing is the email address you should spam protect it. Currently it's just plain and any bot can and will collect it.

There's some unneccessary images using JPG extensions, I would use GIF or PNG just to make those pictures smaller and faster to load.

There's room for improvement, which is good as it'll give you the chance to explore more about the potential of HTML. It's a never ending learning curve.

metla

Seeing as it was mentioned,is it possible to 'spam protect' an email address while still making it a clickable link?

I know i can add an entry into the robots.txt to tell em not to look at my contacts page but in my experience the bots trawling for e-mail addreses just ignore it.