Nigel Thomson

Default Comp not booting, no beeps but some lights

Greetings all, I am having a minor problem withmy machine
    it won't boot, which does cause me a few problems

I turn it on
    the light on the keyboard and mouse flash
    and the hard/drive etc make boot up sounds but seem to stop after a few seconds, nothing is displayed on the monitor at all

I am fairly sure it is not the ram as I once had faulty ram and the machine would boot to a point then crash and loop and that isn't happening here

I have swapped out the graphics card CDROM/ monitor / cables and removed all plugin cards sound/network etc but nothing happens

the other weird thing is that I can't turn it off (except at the wall), but the reset button seems to work

my rough guess is that it is the power supply (ok I hope it is the P/s as it is the only thing I can afford to replace)

Any help would be much appreciated.

Nigel

drcspy

Default Re: Comp not booting, no beeps but some lights

hate to tell you this but it certainly could be ram.........I"ve seen a system with bad ram that would 'boot'.....well the hdd would power up etc......but nothing on screen and it'd jsut sit there.............

also it could be the cpu...............buess you''ll just have to swap them into another machine to test or beg/borrow another ram/cpu to test in yours.....

Billy T

Hi Nigel

Post more information about your machine specs and you might get some more focussed assistance. OS, RAM size, CPU, Motherboard etc.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Susan B

The PSU is the easiest part to test for faults so focus on that part first.

Graham L

Trouble is, Susan, unless he's got a multimeter, the PS is hard to check except by swapping with a new one.

If the keyboard lights flash, the main 5V is OK. Try <Caps Lock> and see if you can turn that light off and on. (The keyboard has its own CPU in the KB and another one on the MB talks to it).

If the disk makes noises when the POST looks at it, the 12V is probably OK.

Since it's actually starting the POST, the 2 or 3V (or whatever the CPU uses) is probably OK.

If the start (and reset) switch (in an ATX?) works, the 5VSB is OK. The board won't be turning off with that switch because the software which does that is not running yet.

I'd try unplugging the keyboard, and hope that the POST complains about a "missing keyboard". Try without RAM, and see if it gives the appropriate error beeps for that. And without a video card.

Nigel Thomson

Greetings all i have followed the advice given but am even more confused, owing to the following
    removed ram -- system beeped --- put it back in
    removed graphics card -- system beeped
    Now the weird bit
    decided to hell with it and stuck in an old hercules 512K PCI graphics card and the system booted up a bit (still have to put harddrives / other cards keyboard and mouse back in to see if it will boot all the way), but I do know it won't boot with three other cards (1Gb AGP, 16GB AGP, 4Mb Pci all of which were working last time i checked them, in fact the hercules was the only one I was unsure off)

well I am off to see if it will handle the rest of the bits added in, I will also try to get the system specs etc mobo, cpu etc

Anyone who can explain what is going on I would really like to know, as i am baffled
    Nigel

somebody

That's very very unusual. Could it be AGP settings in the BIOS which have been messed up? eg. AGP2x cards with the mobo thinking it's AGP4x?

Nigel Thomson

Well I'll check that, but I haven't changed any graphics settings for ages and the 16Mb card has been in there for ages working happily along.

Ok in my previous post mthe graphics cards should be in Mb not Gb (although I'm sure it would make commander keen and tetris run kickass)

Thanks

Nigel

somebody

16GB video cards... I wonder if they actually exist?

Nigel Thomson

Update,
    It has been suggested that the problem could be caused by a faulty battery does this seem logical to anyone, as it doesn't to me

Interesting point is that the floppy drive went faulty at about the same time as this problem occured I disabled it in the bios and the system now ignores it completely but I still have the same boot up problems

Any new Ideas

Nigel