Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thermal Paste

Mark Veldhuizen

Default Thermal Paste

I am building my computer, and just have a question. Is it important to use thermal paste in between the CPU and the cooling/heatsink? One of my friends who put his computer together recently (XP 2000+) didn't bother and his computer runs fine. He says you don't need to do it anymore, and is messy.

I am yet to buy my CPU (I have the MOBO), i am planning to buy a XP 2600+ BARTON CPU and was wondering weather or not it is important/wise to use thermal paste. My motherboard booklet tells me to do it, but some PC sites say not to bother. I'd like some comments.

Murray P

Default Re: Thermal Paste

If the CPU manufaturer says to do it, do itand for an approved heatsink, otherwise your warrenty will be void. I'd do it anyway. Relying on a perfect match of the CPU dye to the heatsink is taking too bigger risk IMO as any minute imperfections in the surface of either will result in poor heat transfer to the heatsink and subsequent loss of cooling efficiency. Fry-up time.

If you only use a thin layer and just enough to cover the core itself then it does not need to be messy. IMO the third party grease or paste is better than the stuff that comes already applied on the heatsink.

Cheers Murray P

CYaBro

It depends.

Check the bottom of the CPU fan that you get. If it is new it should have a square patch of it already.
    If the fan has been used before (there is usually a bit missing from the patch) then you will need to add some more.

Greg S

Yeah, depending on the cpu type - eg most P4's already have some thermal compound on the heatsink

Mark Veldhuizen

Oh, that may be why he said he didn't bother - because it already had some.

If the heatsink DOSN'T have any, and I do rig it all up and boot, could I do damage to the CPU?

godfather

The CPU will last for a second or two only without correct heatsinking.

Destruction will be quicker than any temperature sensing shutdown can handle.

Never power up without full heatsinking on the CPU.

CYaBro

Yes, you could burn out your CPU!

Mark Veldhuizen

I meant if it dosn't have any themal paste, not any heatsink...

Murray P

> Oh, that may be why he said he didn't bother -
    > because it already had some.
    >
    > If the heatsink DOSN'T have any, and I do rig it all
    > up and boot, could I do damage to the CPU?

In short yes. Most modern motherboards have a safety shutdown (more to protect the board than CPU) but, I would not risk it in the few short moments it can take to fry the CPU, especially if you haven't seated the heatsink properly, which is not uncommon for newbs and old hands alike.

If you buy a retail packed CPU it will have an approved heatsink and fan (HSF) with it in the box with pre-prepared paste on the heatsink. The standard paste should be fine if you intend to keep everthing stock, ie, not overclocked, install a different HSF. If on the other hand you purchase an OEM CPU, its usually just the CPU sans HSF which you will need to purchase seperately. They don't usually come pre loaded with paste but a tub or syringe may be included with in the box with it. So beware of cheap deals for HSF, you may have to purchase paste/grease at extra cost.

Cheers Murray P

somebody

All modern heatsinks i've seen all come with a strip of thermal tape on the bottom of them.