Mike

Default News: Sony forced to clip PSX's wings

Sony forced to clip PSX's wings

The console bundles gaming and entertainment Sony's revamped PlayStation console, the PSX, has been stripped of some features so it can be rushed onto shop shelves in Japan in time for Christmas.
    The entertainment system, on sale in Japan from 13 December, is a PS2, hard disk drive, DVD recorder and TV tuner.

But its recording speed has been cut and some audio and picture formats will not be supported, like MP3.

Sony wants the multimedia box to appeal to serious gamers, but also fans of all-in-one home entertainment products.

Missing formats

The original list of features for the shiny do-it-all machine was announced by Sony on 7 October.

But now Sony has confirmed that the PSX will not record or play DVDs in the DVD+RW format, but will play and record in DVD-R or DVD-RW formats.

DVD copying time is slashed, but it is still quick
    The DVD+RW format allows discs to be recorded onto many times. The DVD-RW format is rewritable but not the DVD-R.

The recording speed has been cut from 24x real-time to 12x real-time.
    This means copying an hour's worth of recorded TV onto a DVD will take about five minutes.

Although it will not be able to play MP3 music files, it will play Sony's own format ATRAC as well as others. Playing CDs in CD-R format is also out for PSX owners.

The system will not does not come with an antenna output, which means if people want to use both a TV and the PSX, their antenna may need to be split.

Another omission is a broadband socket, meaning it will not be compatible with the PlayStation broadband service initially.

Even though much of the machine's specification has been pared down, the electronics giant said many of the functions will be replaced through net downloads in the future.

The PSX, which will sell in Japan for about 420, can record more than 200 hours of TV on its 160 GB hard disk. A deluxe version with a 250GB drive will also be available for around 500.

The machine is expected to go on sale in Europe and the US in 2004.

Mike.

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~

Default Re: News: Sony forced to clip PSX's wings

> The machine is expected to go on sale in Europe and
    > the US in 2004. [/i]

So... New Zealand approximately 2005/2006. Just hope it comes before 2007! Geez... we're so slow to get things...

DangerousDave

well by NZ's rate we'll never get it if they don't bother selling a PAL version...

- David

metla

Doubt we will see them here, in the grand scheme of things the nz market is about as significant as Samoa....

Chilling_Silently

Good to see they're sticking to the DVD-R/W for compatability..

That's a nice beefy sized HDD too, compared to XBox's 10GB (Only used for game-saves and mp3's mind you.. no TV-Tuning...).

No LAN connectivity is a big bummer....

*Chilling_Silently wonders how long before mod-chips are out for it....

Steve Askew

Sounds more like MS, Rush it out & fix it up later

robo

I don't think we'll be waiting that long, surely.

I want a machine to record TV onto a hard disk, if it turns out to be a PS of some form, even better.
    robo.

chiefnz

Well that's just great... everyday more and more people are let down by huge companies like Microsoft and now Sony. I would really like one day to see a company take 5 years to develop something and then actually deliver what they say plus maybe a few extras on the side to.

Now I know it's all about getting the goodies in store for Xmas and keeping up with competition, but what's the point in that when the delivered product is really sub standard. They promised so much and we're really getting sweet nothing... no mp3 support, no LAN support, and they expect sales to just boom.

I know most are just looking forward to the TV recording function, which is well and good, but I think it's a small payoff considering what they said it was going to do in the 1st place.

I would much rather wait 5 years and pay a little bit more for a product if it actually delivered what the manufacturer said in the 1st place.

Lets say Ferrari promised a new model that has cutting edge this and cutting edge that, but then Porche beats them to it with a new model of theirs.If Ferrari released the promised car with say a soupedp VW instead of the usual Ferrari engine would you buy it, if it came with normal street tyres instaed of the usual performance set would you buy it, lets say they gave you bigger mag wheels than usual and maybe a bigger stereo would you buy it? I THINK NOT!!!

People buy products for their features and functionality, and yes sometimes for their price. Most do not buy products because its a Microsoft product or a Sony product. The reason big compnaies are a success is because somewhere along the line in it's history they actually did make a quality product and that's why people bought it, nowadays it's more about getting the stock to the warehouse in time for the next big sale or to beat the rival companies.

Enough I say... give us products with features and functionality which we can apply in our day to day routines, technology is supposed to to make things easier and more convenient, why would you want to spend half the weekend patching your PSX just so that you can listen to an Mp3 or watch a certain video.

Mediocrity and the pursuit of better quarter sales figures are killing or at least slowing the pace of the technology tree.

cheers
    chiefnz

Chilling_Silently

Well said there indeed!

I must say I'll be sticking with my XBox for quite some time yet :-)

If I want to record TV to it, then I'll buy a USB TV-Tuner card and run Linux on the XBox! ;-)