Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    overdrive_5000

Default Xp Running slow & Cpu running hot

Hi can any help me, i have just built up a new system:
    Gigabyte GA-7VT600 motherboard, AMD 2400xp+, 256 DDR 400 Ram 40gb 7200rpm hard drive. Now the problem i am having is xp seems to be running slow and my Cpu temp is running around 55-65 degrees i am using the standard Cpu fan and heatsink. The fan rpm is usually about 3300 does this seem normal ? If not can anyone suggest what to do ?

Babe Ruth

Default Re: Xp Running slow & Cpu running hot

Ross,

After having similar problems with one of my Athlon-based computer setup - also std 60mm cpu cooler. I got a Zalman CNPS7000A-AlCu CPU Cooler. This is a 120mm fan very quiet, variable fan speed with a copper and aluminium heatsink. It has solved my heat problem - previous cpu temps 35-60C now 25-40C. More noticeable in warmer weather/inside temps definitely runs cooler!!! Fan range is between 1200 - 2500rpm. Note there are also fans on the Northbridge, AGP video card, 2*80mm case fans and 2*80mm PSU fans in this system.

Now I know a number of retailers sell these around $80-100 depending on exact model... e.g. Ascent and the manufacturers site at Zalman Tech

Cheers, Babe

metla

The standard fan is adequate for the job. As for the cpu temp is that at idle or under load?

Check to make sure the heatsink is orientated around the right way, there will be a step in one side of it, match this up with the offset on the cpu socket.

If this has been installed around the wrong way the heatpad that comes on those amd fans may not be lining up the top of the cpu correctly.

Terry Porritt

That sort of temperature shouldnt cause XP to run slowly, maybe there is another cause for that.

Try checking to see in which mode your hard drive is running.
    Control Panel- System-Hardware-Device Manager-IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers-right click on Primary IDE controller-Properties-Advanced Settings, and look to see if DMA is set in the Transfer Mode and that the hard drive mode is DMA 5 or 6.

ugh1

> Ross,
    >
    > After having similar problems with one of my
    > Athlon-based computer setup - also std 60mm cpu
    > cooler. I got a Zalman CNPS7000A-AlCu CPU Cooler.
    > This is a 120mm fan very quiet, variable fan speed
    > with a copper and aluminium heatsink. It has solved
    > my heat problem - previous cpu temps 35-60C now
    > 25-40C. More noticeable in warmer weather/inside
    > temps definitely runs cooler!!! Fan range is between
    > 1200 - 2500rpm. Note there are also fans on the
    > Northbridge, AGP video card, 2*80mm case fans and
    > 2*80mm PSU fans in this system.
    >
    > Now I know a number of retailers sell these around
    > $80-100 depending on exact model... e.g.
    > Ascent and the manufacturers site at
    > Zalman Tech
    >
    > Cheers, Babe

People should not have to spend $$$$ more to make their CPU cooler!
    If the supplier ships a heat sink / fan it should be up to the job!!

Case in point, my P41.8GHz came with the Intel thermal solution, which claimed that it would never stick to the CPU. Guess what it stuck itself pretty good!!
    Finally I put some "silver compound" paste on, messer that the **** useless pad, put it has not stuck and lowered the CPU temp a bit.

I think people who have "shelf bought" systems that have thermal shutdown problems, or have overheating problems should take them back and demand the problem is fixed!!

As for us poor saps who roll our own PCs should pressure retailers to "improve" the supplied heat-sink / fan combo, as in my option it is not fit for even normal usage in out climate.

Sorry about the rant, but this is one of my pet peeves!

tweak\'e

also check what background programs and processors you are running. you may have picked up a nasty.

> think people who have "shelf bought" systems that have thermal shutdown problems, or have overheating problems should take them back and demand the problem is fixed!!

to right! however its hard to say if its an overheat problem, os problem etc. most cpu will work fine in their specified heat range. most stock heatsinks work fine, however if you get a poorly designed case and a room with high temps, its enough to push the temps to high.

don't forget most people want quiet pc's and they very rarly push them to the limits and airconditioning helps a lot to.

Archibald

Do a quick check with the Task Manager (Alt Ctrl delete) and see whats using the processor. This may give you an indication of whats slowing your machine down.

Steve Askew

Listed at the bottom are the current Temperatures of my AMD XP2500+ & GA-7N400PRO2 according to Aida32,These temps are with the machine just doing a bit of surfing,I would expect my cpu temp to rise about 10C if it was doing some hard out number crunching.
    Have you run Adaware or Spybot to see if there is any spyware slowing things down?

Cheers Steve

Motherboard 30 C (86 F)
    CPU 54 C (129 F)
    Aux 34 C (93 F)

Cooling Fans
    CPU 4219 RPM

drcspy

p4 2.4c
    asus p4s800 (800 fsb)
    512DDR
    Hyperthreaded
    GEForce fx5200 (with add on fan)
    1x PSU fan
    1x case fan

running standard fan and heatsink as came in box

oc'd to 2.64Ghz with fsb@ 880

temp with surfing etc...........
    CPU 24
    Motherboard 32

If I really push it by overclockin it to 3.0Ghz (FSB 1.0Ghz - awsome !) and run a sisoft sandra 'burn in test' the heat goes to
    CPU 44

Steve Askew

What is the normal operating temperature of my AMD processor?
    The operating temperature of a system or processor is highly dependent on the characteristics
    of the system as a whole and the combination of components that make up the system.
    Consequently, the "normal" operating temperature will vary from system to system, depending
    on each system's make-up. Some of the variables that affect the operating temperature of a
    system are: case size, air flow characteristics, installed components, processor speed,
    processor heatsink/fan solution, thermal interface material, power supply, voltage settings,
    workload, and ambient air temperature.
    An approximation to the typical reading from a BIOS or an external software utility is
    expected to be around 60C-65C or lower.
    Although "normal" operating temperatures are not specified for AMD processors, there are
    maximum operating temperature ratings that must not be exceeded. The maximum operating
    temperature of a processor may be determined by the processor's Ordering Part Number
    (OPN), see also: What Is The Maximum Operating Temperature For My AMD
    Processor?.

What is the maximum operating temperature for my AMD processor?
    The maximum operating temperature of an AMD processor is determined by the processor's
    Ordering Part Number (OPN). The OPN is located on the top of the processor.
    Example: A X1800 D M S 3 C
    The temperature is indicated by the third character from the right in the OPN and is denoted by
    an S, T or V character. Current data for the AMD AthlonTM XP processor identifies the maximum
    operating temperature as: V=85C, T= 90C, S = 95C.