Thread: Desktop menu's

DangerousDave

Default Desktop menu's

Hello all,
    I'm wanting to get some program which allows you to create menu's and links on your desktops as currently my Win XP desktop is very, very cluttered.

I know there is a program out there where you can script your own desktop to create menu's, buttons, system temp etc, but can't remember the name of it...

Any help would be great!

Thanks
    - David

mark.p

Default Re: Desktop menu's

Why not just get a virtual desktop proggy? 2 or more desktops, one for particular tasks. I find this works well on Linux, OS/2 and win98 -http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp

drcspy

well I dunno about programs..............but to 'unclutter' a desktop I simply do this............make a new folder.........call it say 'tidy bin' and drag all the crap you dont want hanging around into it.............then simply one extra clik (into that folder) and you will be able to access all the stuff you have moved.......it sure works for tidying up the desktop......also
    after you have done this ............right clik the tool bar just to the right of the start button then UNlock the toolbar.............then make sure that you have the quick launch bar showing and drag the 'tidy bin' folder down there...............voila .........clean desktop...........
    I have only 'my computer' and 'recycle bin' showing on my desktop yet I can access anything I need very easily thru my 'quick launch tidy bin'.......

DangerousDave

hmmm, its not the multiple desktop thing i'm looking for. I think it uses PHP scripts or some form of scripting to create links and good desktops...

URGH this is annoying because i used to know the name of the program but couldn't do anything due to exams

- David

mark.p

Athene? It uses xml .

tweak\'e

why not just use the quick lanch and desktop bars. i aslo use "hide desktop icons" optoin and use the destop bar. gives a nice clean destop while still having access to all the shortcuts i need.

mikebartnz

The only things I have on my desktop are the odd program I will use on boot. I always thought the Start Menu was the place to put the rest. I see no point in cluttering up the desktop as it uses more resources.

Susan B

David: my method for keeping the desktop clean (most times, anyway ) is the same as the others have suggested using a folder on a toolbar, etc but since this does not appear to be what you have in mind you may find what you are looking for here.

Good luck. :-)