Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1

    Default PSU output 18v 3A DC for inside PC

    is there any way i can use my normal 400w PSU to convert it to this output?
    it is because i have a mini PC that i want to run inside my PC
    it normally runs on an adaptor
    i don't mind having to make a circuit
    my PSU says this
    DC output
    +3.3V @ 14A
    +5V @ 40A
    +12V @ 14A
    -5V @ 0.5A
    -12V @ 0.8A
    +5VSB @ 2A
    i understood it until it came to the VSB
    if i can, i spose i will have to crack out the 5th form electronics book

  2. #2

    Default Re: PSU output 18v 3A DC for inside PC

    SB = StandyBy It is a 5 Volt supply that provides power to motherboard circuitry, when PC is off. This is so you can use a non-locking push button to start your computer, and such things as wake-on-ring etc...
    BTW, only used on ATX machines.
    You won't be able to produce the 18Volts from your power supply as all negative's are commoned, so making the ability to use a 12V and 5V in series a non-starter.

  3. #3

    Default Re: PSU output 18v 3A DC for inside PC

    You would need to redesign the power supply to produce an 18v rail.
    All present outputs share a common 0v rail, so you can't series the 5 and 12 volts to get 17v.

    In particular you would need to rewind the switchmode transformer and replace the filtering stages. It would be much easier to put a normal laptop switchmode power supply inside the case, as 18v at 3 amps is typical for these.

    You really do need a switchmode though, I made a transformer based 18v/4 amp regulated supply using conventional means, and it requires a lot of heatsinking, plus its quite expensive as well.

    Not sure what you mean by "understood it until it came to the VSB"?
    +5V Stand By (+5VSB) is the 5 volt rail thats alive in the standby mode as far as I know, its nothing special.

  4. #4
    Graham L

    Default Re: PSU output 18v 3A DC for inside PC

    A recent issue of Silicon Chip magazine tells how to convert a PC supply for 13.8V (a standard value) but 18V is just a few more turns on the rewound transformer.

    However, you will probably find it a lot easier to buy one. I think Jaycar sell a supply for laptops, with adjustable output, which will do what you need.

Similar Threads

  1. If You Wonder What's Inside........
    By SurferJoe46 in forum PC World Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 08:41 AM
  2. PC to TV output
    By taly in forum PressF1
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-07-2007, 06:19 PM
  3. What's inside my PC?
    By paradox in forum PressF1
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-05-2007, 02:04 PM
  4. Mic output
    By kjaada in forum PressF1
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 27-02-2007, 09:19 AM
  5. How should I clean the inside of my pc?
    By meg_h_nz in forum PressF1
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-02-2006, 02:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts